Gigabyte Brix Bxpi3-4010u + GTX660@4Gbps+c-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC V8) + Win7/64 [minihack]

Minihack

Just a quick post here to let you know that the V8 version is working perfectly for me via the Mini PCIe slot of my Gigabyte Brix BXpi3 4010U to connect with my MSI GTX 660 twin frozr III -  the attached images for Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmarks tell the story.

I am using this with a 150w power brick and using the 6 pin Beast connection to directly feed the 6 pin 660 connection.

Hitting the power switch of the Brix activates the external card automatically and it powers down fine with the  Brix too. USB connection on the Beast however is non functional but I don't care about that.

WinHeavIntel.png

winHeavNvidia.png

I couldn't be happier.

10 minutes ago, Minihack said:

Just a quick post here to let you know that the V8 version is working perfectly for me via the Mini PCIe slot of my Gigabyte Brix BXpi3 4010U to connect with my MSI GTX 660 twin frozr III -  the attached images for Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmarks tell the story.

I am using this with a 150w power brick and using the 6 pin Beast connection to directly feed the 6 pin 660 connection.

Hitting the power switch of the Brix activates the external card automatically and it powers down fine with the  Brix too. USB connection on the Beast however is non functional but I don't care about that.

WinHeavIntel.png

winHeavNvidia.png

I couldn't be happier.

Wow! The Brix is mini PC barebones system.  http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/list.aspx?s=47&ck=104

We do not have any implementation guides for that system. Would you like to submit details of yours so others with a Brix can replicate your pioneering efforts?

Just now, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Wow! The Brix is mini PC barebones system.  http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/list.aspx?s=47&ck=104

We do not have any implementation guides for that system. Would you like to submit details of yours so others with a Brix can replicate your pioneering efforts?

For sure it was surprisingly simple.

Just removed the onboard wifi card, inserted the mini PCI-e connection from the Beast kit (I used this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181943864835?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ).

Power brick used for my Beast is just a 150W FSP unit. 

My Brix unit has integrated projector (I bought this one just because it was cheap at £120 because no-one wants to buy them - and it has the same actual hardware inside as the non projector version). 

When the Beast is connected the internal graphics are disabled (which of course is fine for me) but if you disconnect the Beast adapter then it simply reverts to the internal HD4400 graphics.

I have the Brix sitting in front of my TV and the Beast adapter is hidden behind the TV - so to the casual onlooker it seems as if I have some surprising graphics in my small box (!).

I made a false bottom for the Brix and in that I have installed a SATA 500GB drive to complement the 250GB mSATA that I have sitting above the Mini PCI e connection and the false bottom sandwiches the Beast connection lead in place between it and the main Brix housing so it can't be disturbed.

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

15 minutes ago, Minihack said:

For sure it was surprisingly simple.

Just removed the onboard wifi card, inserted the mini PCI-e connection from the Beast kit (I used this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181943864835?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ).

Power brick used for my Beast is just a 150W FSP unit. 

My Brix unit has integrated projector (I bought this one just because it was cheap at £120 because no-one wants to buy them - and it has the same actual hardware inside as the non projector version). 

When the Beast is connected the internal graphics are disabled (which of course is fine for me) but if you disconnect the Beast adapter then it simply reverts to the internal HD4400 graphics.

I have the Brix sitting in front of my TV and the Beast adapter is hidden behind the TV - so to the casual onlooker it seems as if I have some surprising graphics in my small box (!).

I made a false bottom for the Brix and in that I have installed a SATA 500GB drive to complement the 250GB mSATA that I have sitting above the Mini PCI e connection and the false bottom sandwiches the Beast connection lead in place between it and the main Brix housing so it can't be disturbed.

IMG_2080.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

Can you please shortlist the exact hardware configuration you are using, software configuration necessary and 3dmark11 and 13 benchmark result runs?

51 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Can you please shortlist the exact hardware configuration you are using, software configuration necessary and 3dmark11 and 13 benchmark result runs?

Okay - probably tomorrow I will have time to lookup those benchmark softwares do some runs  and make a list.

Hardware list, essential components:

Gigabyte BXpi3-4010U;

Beast V8 with Mini PCI-e connection;

MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III;

FSP 150w 12v power brick.

Bios version F9;

No Bios mod.s or DSDT mod.s needed.

IGPU is disabled so the on board DP, HDMI and in built projector connection will not work - graphics is using the GTX 660 only. There is an external connection to the projector though and I imagine that will wok by relaying output from the GTX 660 to the external port. I have not tried this though as the projection function itself is very low res. and not of great interest to me.

I run a laser cutting business and so the bottom of the case is one which I fabricated myself to house the 500GB disk and this also allows an easy routing of the flat cable out of the back of the Brix. it would not be a problem though I think to simply file down the lip of the original case bottom to permit the cable to exit.

Benchmark results from 3DMark 11 and also the Cloudgate and Sky Diver scores from the latest 3DMark are in the attached png files

3d11.PNG

Cloudgate score.PNG

Sky Diver Score.PNG

system detail.PNG

Edited by Minihack

Also perhaps of interest is the fact that I have this set up as triple boot OS X Yosemite on the internal mSATA drive and WIn7/Ubuntu on the 500GB SATA.

More detail on the OS X elements can be seen on my thread over here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/182987-gigabyte-brix-bxpi3-4010u-using-external-gpu-egpu.html