Clevo p370sm 680m high temps

MJGriffin

Howdy!

So recently I've noticed my gtx 680m to be running pretty darn hot, 90c in fact. That temp was was reached by playing Watch Dogs so not stressed tested.

I took apart the laptop, took off the heatsink and re pasted the GPU with MX-4 paste. Just a pea size in the middle of the GPU.

However, i'm still reaching temps of 90c. Thats with a slight overlock. Stock clocks still reach around 80c+

Any idea on why my 680M is so hot? Laptop is around 5-6 months old.

Thanks.

Theres a lot of variable as to why your laptop is getting so hot. I suspect the prime reason is because watch_dogs is a demanding game, I have watch_dogs too and I notice both my GPU + CPU temp rockets when I play the game also :P

The best thing to do is prob raise the laptop up with some books to improve air flow or get a laptop stand with a built in fan. or reduce the in game quality setting to reduce heat output. I also suspect when you had your laptop new the ambient temperature were cooler than summer temps.

If you have the means, I strongly recommend getting an 880M heatsink for your 680M. As I mentioned in that thread the X-brackets on the GPU are the same across 3 generations, so I have no doubt the 880M heatsink will fit your 680M just fine. You should see at least a 5C reduction in temps just due to the beefier heatpipes (6mm vs 4mm).