Correct sequence of steps to downgrade Y510p BIOS

daggerNC

I I'm starting a new thread so as to not have this lost in one of the other threads and the topic is a bit different. I have the Y510p with v3.05 BIOS, and the wireless card (2230) absolutely s*#ks, so this is the place to be to get around the absurd Lenovo policy of locking the bios down... But I just can't seem to get it working correctly - I followed the steps very carefully - made backups, installed v2.7 with no issues, applied the whitelist mod, installed that no issues, but then I lost Sleep functionality. I have done multiple fresh installs of Win7, but no matter what Sleep doesn't work but even worse there is a BIOS issue that the laptop won't reboot without getting a 30 second hand on POST and then it reboots and loads the OS quick as can be. My questions are what exactly did you who have a fully functional, correctly running Y510p with the hacked v2.7 BIOS do to install this hacked BIOS? Must I use Win8 only? Must I do a special sequence of new BIOS and new OS install?

Where is svl7 - has he given up on us Lenovo Y510p users? I haven't seen him posting anything here in a long time?? I'm so frustrated I'm wishing Lenovo would just buy this back from me!

Thanks,

daggerNC

+1 for this thread. Im in the same situation (almost) as you. 3.05 BIOS, intel N 7260 (wich SUCKS) and wanting to install the killer n 1202 from my older notebook. Afraid to do it still

Really? A 7260 is delivered as stock in your Y510P, are you sure?

Has there been a revision of the Y510P in which the Cards were changed?

Really? A 7260 is delivered as stock in your Y510P, are you sure?

Has there been a revision of the Y510P in which the Cards were changed?

Yep, Intel 7260N (not the AC version), and it SUCKS!!!! Can't get more than 12mb out of my 100mb connection

shmerlin - I did go thru the main sticky thread again. The one option I did not try is to disable USB Boot, but that's still not a real "fix" for the BIOS hangs as when I had the original setup, USB Boot was enabled and there were never any BIOS POST delays. Since I still can't get everything to run correctly/smoothly/without BIOS hangs and lost of Sleep function, I swapped out my nice SSD and reinstalled the factory 1Gig slowmo HDD drive and factory POS 2230 wireless card, and of course it runs fine again. I'm going to try modding the BIOS down to v2.7 and then add the 7260 wireless card to see if this process results in a completely stable and usable configuration. Then maybe I'll try putting in the SSD with a new image to see if that will work...

BTW, the new Y50 laptop from Lenovo which will be replacing our Y510p comes with an Intel 3160-AC wireless card. Again Lenovo cheaps out by using this card which is only a 1x1:1 design (the 7260 is a 2x2:2 design), but at least its AC.