Black screen, dead 6990m?

hbsbh81

I bought a 7970m to upgrade my p150hm with 6990.

I removed the 6990m and then googled some instructions and realised that Dell 7990m wont work in my computer.

So i put the 6990m back and now the screen wont turn on.

It works great with a external screen in the DVI-port!?!

I have checked the cable from the monitor to the mainboard and it looks like its as it should be.

Any suggestions?!

Nope, its not working. I guess i somehow have crippled the 6990m or in some really strange way killed the screen!?!? Im going to buy a 680m and see if it works.

I would still like to get suggestions how to fix the problem if anyone knows any tricks...

• 1 month later...

Thanks.. i'm going to try that.

Anyways i ordered a k5000m which they say it should work with p150hm.

When i look in the vbios oc-thread

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

on 680m

its says: "For P1xxHM based systems I recommend only using version 80.04.29.00.01"

But what now when i will have k5000m?

• (Dell) K5000m - 80.04.33.00.35 - 'OCedition' -> higher software overclocking limit, stock 3d clocks 758MHz
    It's Dell but should work on all K5000m, unless you get a board ID mismatch."

It says Dell so i guess it wont work with my setup?

Isnt there any oc-bios for a p150hm with k5000m?

• 3 weeks later...

Got my k5000m, installed it and modded the latest drivers and it seems to work.

Furmark takes it up to 90 degrees. But with 3dmark, and games it seems to operate between 50 and 75.

40 degrees idle.

Sounds good?

It has the 6990m cooler, with a slightly to big amd x-bracket, but it seems to work.

I ask again:

Will i be able to use "(Dell) K5000m - 80.04.33.00.35 - 'OCedition'"? Even though i have a P150MH and not a dell? I dont want to brick it or something now when it is working again.

I guess my computer is to old for anyone to bother. =)

Anyways, in case anyone else needs this information.

I have a Clevo P150HM with 6990M, that card died and in the end a ended up with k5000m.

It works great with the original 6990m heatzink. I bought new heat pads and added it according to this:

http://www.techinferno.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/680M.jpg (0.5mm on the sides and squares, 1mm on memory, i might be a 1mm on the right side also, dont remember exactly)

The X-bracket was a bit to big but i used it anywas and it seems to work great.

My idle temp/surfing the web is 39-42 degrees when the room is somwhere around 20-25.

I can overclock it to 680m speed without any problems with NVIDIA inspector, no need to install a modded vbios.

Furmark is crap, dont try it, use real games benchmark or 3dmark.

Solidwork works awesome, so damn good looking i almost cry when using it. ;)

I cant enable full scene antialising in the settings, and some of the sides of the model looked tacky, but i enabled maximum antialising in the nvidia drivers and now it looks better.

As i wrote in my last post the gpu is around 50-75 degrees when playing games or doing 3dmark.

You have to mod your nvidia drivers, and it might look hard, but it was really simple when i found a good howto (google it, there are a few, read them all and use logic).

Thats it! Bye bye! =)

Dell cards don't have a great history of working in Clevo machines, so I'm glad you managed to get it to work! Perhaps it's better that you went for it rather than wait on an answer, as most are of the school of thought that you should stick with Clevo cards for Clevo laptops, period.

Again, nicely done, and thanks for the follow up. :)