To upgrade or to wait?

wannab

So currently i have a Y500 with the i53230m processor. Would it be worth while to upgrade my processor to an ivy i7 or simply wait and get a new laptop?

From a specifications most of the i7's are about twice as fast as the i5 counterpart.

With that being said would the modified bios ( from the forum ) support the new ivy i7?

Depends on how long you intend to keep the laptop and whether you need the extra CPU horsepower. If you're gonna stick with this machine for a few more years and your software and games take advantage of more cores, then by all means go for it. If you have SLI, the i7 should give you a nice FPS boost in CPU-intensive games.

The i7 should just be plug-and-play, you shouldn't even need the modded BIOS to make it work. One thing to keep in mind though is that the Y500 with i5 has a different mobo which can only take 35W CPU's, so you'll have to go for the low power i7's such as the 3612QM and 3632QM.