p170em graphics card problem

Chey Raven

So the other day I plugged in my hdmi port to use my tv as the display and the display on the laptop goes blank and then a blank screen is on the tv then it just shifts back to the laptop only this time its using the igpu and everytime I try to swap back to the gtx 680 i get a message saying this display is not using an nvidia gpu so I can't use the nvidia drivers.

I've tried these things

Formatted Twice

System restored

uninstalled new/older drivers of both the nvidia and intel

cmos restart

taking the graphics card out booting up and then shutting down and inserting it again

trying a different hdmi cable and a different screen.

Disabling in device manager and restarting

It just won't swap back to the dedicated gpu. So has the hdmi socket short circuited the gpu and now its dead? it just says error 43 in the device manager and in gpu its all 0 core and memory its just not being used at all.

I'm gonna try and send it back. Hopefully i'll get somewhere....But in anycase I've just inherited a large paperweight!!! Yay.

As soon as I put the hdmi port in. It was perfectly fine beforehand. Its literally forced displays on that and even when I go to use the hdmi port now for any tv it always uses the hd 4000. It even says HD4000 is being used in resolution settings.

As soon as I put the hdmi port in. It was perfectly fine beforehand. Its literally forced displays on that and even when I go to use the hdmi port now for any tv it always uses the hd 4000. It even says HD4000 is being used in resolution settings.

Well the HD4000 being used is normal since the P170em uses optimus. All displays will appear under the HD4000 control panel instead of the 680m, but the 680m card will do the rendering anyway and just send the framebuffer over the PCI-E for the HD4000 to display. Because of this I am very surprised that plugging the HDMI in would kill the 680m since it's the HD4000 that drives the display, but if 2 reformats don't fix an error 43, then it sounds like the 680m really is dead.

Was there anything else that you did to the laptop prior to getting error 43?

Nope the only thing its ever used for is playing games. The temps were fine with the graphics card never going past 83c and the cpu at max 75c. I even bought the U3 coolermaster pad for it.

Yeah It was driving me crazy, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how swapping over to a hdmi display could blow the graphics card....considering its not even plugged into it...

Sent it back today to OC UK. Will report back lol.

• 2 weeks later...

could it have been stacking discharge? might sound silly but it's a very *rare* possibility. I've had a deskotp PC that rolled over and died when I was swapping DVI cables a small spark flew and hit the rim of the DVI connector. The PC was fine but the card was dead beef.