Overclocking Lenovo X230T HD4000

Murray Smart

I have installed the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for overclocking Intel chips and when I go to apply the settings for my HD4000, it simply reverts back to the default settings and I have to enable overclocking again but can not actually apply changes.

To this extent, I gather that Lenovo have some how protected their processor from being overclocked (and I do not plan on overclocking it by a lot due to it already running at just 10 degrees celcius below the maximum safe line that I would prefer to stay within (currently it's around 75 degrees celcius at it's most hot.. it peaks just below 80 for short moments) I'm willing to max out at 80 to 85 degrees celcius.

Is there a way to create a custom adjusted profile for that particular utility and apply it. I've not been able to locate where the profiles are saving to at the moment.

Any help would be awesome. If there is a 3rd party utility for overclocking I'm open to giving that a whirl as well.. I am just wanting to find a way to increase my performance slightly from where it is currently at.

I have 16 GB of system ram and it seems a waste that I can't find out how to dedicate more of this to the HD4000 for it's usage.. I read conflicting reports that say it will help and others say it does nothing to improve the situation.. I just don' tknow which to believe.

XTU is useful if you have an Extreme CPU (i7-3920XM) and an unlocked bios. Then you can ramp up the multipliers as much as you like to overclock the CPU to the point of instability or you hit thermal/power limits. Y

our CPU has no overclocking ability other than the standard Turbo Boost Intel provide. The HD4000 might see some performance boost if you overclock your RAM. Eg: instead of running it 1600Mhz, run it at 2133Mhz by flashing new timings using Thaiphoon Burner.

If you want a highly modifiable tablet then consider a 13" Fujitsu T901. It's Sandy Bridge but users have installed a 45W i7-quad as have a socketted CPU. 12.5" HP 2560P/2570P also with a socketted CPU so can accomodate a 45W i7-quad CPU, but they aren't a tablet.

It blows that they soldered the processors to the board. I guess I will just have to work with what I currently have. I'd love to have bought one of the fujitsu's but they were 2000 dollars more than what I picked up my x230 for and at the time I had no idea lenovo solder their cpu into the boards.

It blows that they soldered the processors to the board. I guess I will just have to work with what I currently have. I'd love to have bought one of the fujitsu's but they were 2000 dollars more than what I picked up my x230 for and at the time I had no idea lenovo solder their cpu into the boards.

Answered at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2109-diy-egpu-experiences-%5Bversion-2-0%5D-66.html#post38064 as this may be of interest to other users.