M17x R2 Recommended Upgrades?!

Guest bifnewman

Guest bifnewman

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I have been able to get on, but I'm back. I see there's a QUAD-GPU Clevo on its way, thats insane...

Anyways, I think I might give my R2 a refresh with a few upgrades... It's still under warranty and I want to keep it that way (mainly because i've heard of people getting their M17x's replaced with the next-gen systems, that would be SO nice). I find that Dell is pretty lenient with those kind of things. (I broke a screen once without an accidental care warranty and the guy just replaced it. Then again, I just told him that "it broke, i don't know how" lol.) I was thinking of buying an extra chassis and painting it or something. Here is a list of upgrades that I had in mind:

1. Painted chassis

2. 16GB RAM upgrade

3. 1TB Hard Drive in a HD caddy and Another 256GB SSD in the 2nd HDD slot. (So thats 256GB SSD + 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD)

4. 6990M CFX + 480W PSU?

Will you guys give me some suggestions or tips (especially on colors and stuff for the painted chassis)?

Thanks

Yeah they replace it with newer gen different systems mostly IF your system has errors after many repairs and you complain a lot, and also the chance is increased if that particular line is discontinued (so they have nothing to give you). You would probably be getting some M18x after a lot of complaining, were those things to happen.

K8roI.png

I don't find them lenient, except for providing replacement parts while the computer is under warranty.

Also, maybe it's worth waiting for the new 7990 cards or whatever they'll be, depending on how much faster they work. It was mentioned somewhere that they might work on MXM3.0.

• Thumbs Up 2

Haha, perfect meme.

I also find it hard to believe that getting a replacement upgrade would be that easy. Dell were more than happy to replace some of my parts but when I asked for a replacement bottom panel on my M11x (some of the screws are a bit stripped) they wouldn't have a bar of it and were going to charge me $160 for the replacement panel! No. Thanks.

4. Call Dell tech support. "Sir, we have to do some troubleshooting first. Can you please hold Fn and Power on the laptop."

There it is... that's the Dell jargon i'm used too lol. "I'm sorry if you buy &(^*&(& we'd be glad to help you with that"... I got that one myself hahaha... I was thinking i'd have to be an &(6976 hole to buy more to have an issue fixed. They tried to sell me 2 more sticks of ram to be willing to cover two extra ram slots malfunctioning but not used in my laptop. I gave one nasty email in reply simply explaining I buy 1 hard drive in a dual bay laptop and find my second sata port is not functional that certainly better be covered by my warranty :| I was offered a motherboard replacement the next day if I'd wait a week or so for all the last repair and exchange paper work to go through as to not alert anything to so many repairs (not my prob) and I accepted :). What that's how they work sometimes... try it yourself the rest of you will be singing the same tune lol :)