EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Paclik

Help needed! change Msi 970m vBios to Clevo vBios using M18x r2

Hello everyone. 

I've been reading the forums for quite a while now, and I can't even describe how helpful everyone at techinferno is. 

It's time for my first post and my question is towards the GPU vBios and Alienware/Clevo gurus here at techinferno.

I've bought a barebone Origin EON 15-X (Clevo p750dm) it's the Skylake version. I also have an MSI GTX970m 6GB which doesn't seem to be working when installed in the 15-X (black screen not even backlight, only the keyboard backlight is working, no fans are spinning and there are no beeps). I think it might be due to the MSI vBios. I want to try to flash the card with a Clevo vBios (thanks to Prema) and see if the card would then work.

I was hoping I can use my trusty M18x r2 for that task. 

In the primary GPU slot I've got my 7970m and in the slave slot I've put the 970m. When I power the laptop and go to the bios, it only shows "ATI GFX" for "Discrete Graphics 1 and for "Discrete Graphics 2" shows "Not Detected". I've tried booting to Windows and checked the device manager, same thing only the 7970m is listed.

I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is even possible.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Anderitos135
      I have a iBuypower CZ-17 laptop, with a 2012 AMI BIOS that has E1762 as the version, which I believe means I have an MSI G70 motherboard. It has a 675MX GPU, but it's not useable in Windows 10 despite being "seen" in the device manager. I believe an updated, unlocked BIOS would fix my issue and have located the thread on this site with the BIOS I need.

First of all, am I right? Will this fresh BIOS make my laptop that originally ran Windows 8 work with this old GPU?

And second, I created this account, will wait 24 hours and made this post. Is that enough to allow me to download the file, or do I need to post elsewhere?

Thanks!
    • By Radstark
      Title sums it up.

TL;DR: we have a Clevo that runs a desktop CPU, one with those huge 82 Wh batteries. We remove the GPU and let it use the CPU's integrated graphics. How much time for the battery to go from 100 to 0? Is it comparable to an ultrabook's?

I'm theorizing a mobile set with a static eGPU and an upgradable CPU. Given a hypothetical user that needs fast processing on the go and long battery life while retaining very high degrees of mobility, but at home wants a powerful machine to run most games, I guess that would be their best bet. It would surely be more convenient to keep everything in the same disk. And even though the thing would be quite heavy to carry around, changing CPU would be more cost-efficient than changing an entire laptop. (Not sure if I'm right here, and also I'm not sure whether the motherboard in a Clevo would be replaceable when the new CPU needs a different socket, which is another reason why I'm asking here.)

If my above guesses aren't correct, then an ultrabook with Thunderbolt and without a dedicated GPU would be a better choice. If they are, then we would be carrying more weight in exchange of a more cost-efficient setup, which I think would be a fair tradeoff.

Also I am aware of the heating problems that these laptops suffer from, at least compared to a desktop setup. Would they be solved by moving the GPU out of the chassis, and instead plugging it with an eGPU dock via Thunderbolt port?

What do you think? Is it doable? If not, why?
    • By Binarious
      I installed an NVIDIA Quadro P4000 Max-Q in a Clevo P750DM-G.

Device manager hardware ID shows:
      PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BB7&SUBSYS_75021558&REV_A1

I have done the standard inf file mod, then disabled driver enforcement as I have done successfully in the past, but it's not working this time. The install starts, then fails less than half way through. I have tried the DCH version, standard version, and studio versions and none of them will work. I am probably missing something. Could it be the result of the vBIOS?

Below are screenshots starting with GPUz

• By mrwayne
      My laptop is Monster Tulpar T7 v2.6. i7 4710MQ, 16 GB DDR3 1600 mHZ, GTX 970M 3GB.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.