Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 Black Screen / Bios Mod Brick / No Boot Logo

PlannedObsolescence

I recently tried this Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 bios mod by svl7.  I was originally running official Insyde Bios v2.02 and the stock vbios for the first graphic card GDDR5 750M. I was reluctant to try this bios mod initially because I could not backup the vbios for the first 750m graphic card, but I finally decided it to try it because I was convinced that I needed access to other hidden bios options to accomplish what I was trying to do.

I wasn't modding my bios so I could change the GPU clocks of my 750M graphic cards, and I did try to back up the vbios for each 750M first. If I tried to back up the vbios with GPU-Z, it would give me an error message saying bios reading is not supported, cause my computer screen to change colors, or freeze my computer completely. If I tried it to back up the vbios with NVFLASH, it would change my display resolution, disable my GPU, return an error message, and cause NVIDIA control panel to return a message which says a NVIDIA GPU must be attached to the display, etc. I could only backup the vbios for the second GPU.

I followed the instructions on the guide posted on the TechInferno forums correctly and everything. I backed up my bios, modified it using the tool, and then I flashed the modded bios. The bios mod was successful, and I now had access to other hidden bios options. However, I noticed that the vbios version for the first 750M GDDR5 graphic card was now different as I had feared, and it was also clocked at 1059 mhz, almost 100 MHZ higher than it was before the mod (it was at originally at 967 MHZ).  The original vbios version 80.07.95.00.17 was changed to version 80.07.9d.00.11.

Here are some other GPU-Z validations for reference:
vbios 80.07.95.00.17:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/e7hcb
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/3yyyu

vbios  80.07.9d.00.11:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/4z7pe

The GPU clock was higher (1059 mhz) for me with the 80.07.9d.00.11 version. I did a Futuremark benchmark in SLI, but I got the same/similar results as before.
But the computer seemed to running fine with the SL7 bios mod, despite the change to the vbios for the first graphic card.

I tried enabling and disabling various features and options in the bios, but none of them seemed to get what I wanted working. If the PC was stuck at the Lenovo logo after changing an option, or something else wasn't working right in Windows after making a change in the bios, I just undid the changes I had made previously in the bios.

One thing I noticed after I installed the bios mod was a command prompt which opened up and installed some WiDi certificate while I was running Windows 10.

I decided to press escape a few times while the Lenovo logo was displayed, and I noticed that it took me to some Grub4Dos boot menu, with gave me a list of options of booting Windows with or without SLIC, etc. I was never able to do this until I installed the modded bios v2.04, and I'm pretty sure I never actually installed Grub4Dos myself.

I tried experimenting with various bios settings in the video configuration which was accessible in the advanced section of the boot menu, but changing these options didn't suffice.
So, I decided to enable the Intel Smart Connect Technology and the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework (DPTF) in the bios. A bunch of unknown devices showed up in Device Manager when I booted Windows, so I went ahead and installed the Lenovo Smart Connect software which was for a different Lenovo Laptop as well as the Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers that were for a Lenovo Yoga. Both installations worked and installed drivers for the unknown devices.

I took of some options for the CPU which stood out to me. I saw that the "Bi-Directional PROCHOT#" in the thermal configuration of the advanced section of the bios, was enabled, but I didn't disable it. If this is enabled, it kinda makes the Intel Turbo Boost feature useless because the CPU Turbo Boost clock to 3.4 ghz etc. will only last a couple of minutes and maybe longer if you are lucky since the CPU cores will reach temperature maximums by that time. If Intel Turbo Boost is enabled at the same time, the Bi-Directional PROCHOT setting can also cause CPU-demaning games to freeze and lag. But the BDPROCHOT setting in the bios isn't something that you cannot disable in Windows using an external overclocking program if you want the the extra benefit of the Intel Turbo Boost, so it wan't really necessary to disable it in the bios.

I did see that there was an option to disable the hyper-threading for the CPU somewhere in the power section of the modded bios, so I gave it a spin. I once wanted to reduce extra  CPU threads without actually disabling physical cores of the CPU by disabling hyper-threading, and I could not do this until I installed the modded bios.

I was interested in the ACPI Table/ Features Control in the advanced section of the bios  as well, and I enabled the TC0 Watchdog Support which was originally disabled. It changed some configuration in Windows and required a reboot of the operating system. Changing this setting in the bios didn't seem to cause any problems.

I enabled Serial Port A in the Peripheral Configuration of the advanced section of the bios, and I'm not sure what this did.

I also disabled some PCI clockrun setting as well. I believe it was the turn off unused PCIE/PCI  clocks in extended ICC in the advanced section of the bios.

Finally, I decided to change a setting in the PCI Express Graphic in the Video Configuration which was part of the advanced section. The setting was called "PCI Reset Delay". I changed the setting from "100 ms" to disabled. Now I cannot even access the bios of the laptop. The laptop powers on, but all I get is a black screen. I cannot get a video output using an external screen.
I wanted to do a factory reset of the bios somehow, but I'm not sure how I can accomplish this. I tried calling Lenovo technical support, and they told me to try a remove the CMOS battery. I'm aware of the location of the CMOS battery on the motherboard, but it does not seem to be removable and might actually be soldered to the motherboard. The Y500 also seems hard to disassemble, and I was watching a video on how to disassemble it from this website:

https://www.how-fixit.com/laptop-repairguideslenovo-laptop/lenovo-y500-y510p

I tried to take the laptop apart, but I was having great difficulty doing this. I couldn't fully take it apart to expose the CMOS battery. I'm also afraid of breaking the connectors which connect the CMOS battery to the motherboard. I already broke a plastic piece of the second GPU because I had trouble removing it from the Ultrabay port of the laptop. I'm trying the bios reset by using the discharge laptop battery method that someone used on their Z400 laptop, but I'm not sure if it will work on my laptop or not. If anybody knows of a way I can fix this problem so I can use my laptop again and can explain it to me, I would be very thankful. I hope that a replacement of the entire motherboard is not necessary just to fix a bios or CMOS battery issue.