Run P150EM without dGPU

becks21

Hi there,

I have a P150EM (i7-3612QM) with stock BIOS and for several reasons I want to use my Laptop without a dGPU installed.

When I remove it and boot up my system, the LEDs start flashing, a beep sound occurs, the fans turn max, and finally after approx 30 seconds the Laptop shuts itself down.

How can I prevent from this behaviour? Is there a mod or something?

Thx and Cheers

Unfortunately the p150em embedded controller interprets no gpu temp sensor reading as an overheating gpu, and it shuts the laptop down.

There is a hidden bios option to not power up the dgpu. If you have a dgpu that is functional enough to let the laptop run, I can try this setting on my laptop. If it works I'll send you a modded bios. It may even allow no dgpu at all, but I doubt it.

If that doesn't work, we can try pulling components from a dead gpu to make it draw no power and not need a heatsink or fan. If you have a dead card let me know what it is and I can point out components to remove.

Edited by Khenglish

Thx for your reply..

My dGPU card (AMD Radeon HD 7970M) is fully functional.. It just gives me a hard time on Linux, where drivers are a mess.

What about the PremaMods BIOS' I read about.. do they expose this "hidden option" ?

Would I be able to go back to stock BIOS or to enable/disable dGPU from BIOS menu ?

Prema bios doesn't have the option in menus. Its something hardset behind the menus. You would need to flash back to a regular bios for the dgpu to work again.

I can probably try it out for you tomorrow to make sure it doesn't cause a brick and actually works.

• 1 month later...