NP9170 GPU Upgrade Options

Ms514

Hello:

I have a NP9170 with a 670MX.  I am trying to overclock, but it may not provide the gains I am looking for.  I have been looking at potential upgrades , and they seem to be either the 680M or jump straight to the 970M or 980M.  AMD side, it seems to be the 8XXX series.  

I am trying to find out which graphics card would provide the best bang for the buck.  I would play at 1080P, no antialiasing or ansiotropic and would like to be closer to 60 FPS.  I know the 7XX, 8XX series Nvidia cards are cheaper (eBay used), but is it the power consumption that is preventing those from being options (standard MXM cards) or are they viable alternatives?

Thanks

Thanks.  Sigh...I think given the cost associated with the upgrade, I will stick to the overclock of the 670mx for now and then build out (probably a desktop this time - other devices can handle the mobile needs) a desktop to last another 10 years.

Even if the 700 and 800 series did work easily with your laptop, the cost savings for going with them vs the 970m is not really worth the performance loss. The 980m does have a significant edge over the 970m, but its only worth the cost if you really want the best there is.

If you're from the US ordering from rj-tech will also get you the upgraded heatsink. In their laptop selector say you have a P150SM, P157SM, P170SM, or P177SM. Their heatsinks are all compatible with your laptop. If you're not US, ebay is likely your best bet.

Prices for the 9XX (and the rest - even the 670mx is being sold at 460...wow) series would put me well on the way to a gaming desktop PC or even a new gaming laptop.  I guess I will go that route when ready.  

Edited by Ms514