Do I have everything I need? (iMac 27" Late 2013)

Reignfive

Hey all,

I'm building an eGPU next week... wanted to make sure I have the parts that I need. I am following this guide: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9557-imac-late-2013-27in-gtx-780m-4-g-ram-evga-gtx-980-ti-hybrid10gbps-tb1highpoint-rocketstor-6361a-os-x-scooter/

I have

I bought

Will I need anything else? I noticed the guide said that some female pins will be needed and i will need to heat sink / solder them - I have no experience with this, is there an easy way around this? Will the paperclip trick work instead?

Edited by Reignfive

The case can only mount SFX PSUs and not the big ATX ones. I think it is possible, but not intendet by e.g. Silverstone.

If you do not want to make cuts to the case, you might want to consider using a PCIe riser cable.

Paperclip trick will work just fine.

Cool thanks for the heads up, do you think something like this will work? As a note: I plan to change to an SFX PSU once I know the rig is running.

http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Factor-Modular-SX600-G/dp/B00MO675S8/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1460947594&sr=1-1&keywords=sfx+psu&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6906985011

And thank you on the note re: the PCIe Riser!

13 hours ago, Dschijn said:

Yeah it is good. 600W might be a bit of an overkill ;)

got it! i have no idea what amount of power i will need so i did a quick google search, but i feel like people were saying 650w because it was assumed to be used on a real PC rig, instead of just a small egpu setup. Ill be stepping it down to 500w then! 

Thanks for all the help Dschijn :)) Got this thing up and running yesterday, will be putting it into a chassis next weekend...

Here are images of the setup right now (barebones): http://imgur.com/a/cPTVP

My only question is re: the "memory" part of the GPU not being used. Is that an issue? Am I getting the most out of the card? I understand TB1 diminishes a lot of potential power for the card, I just want to make sure i didnt miss anything before I go all in with the chassis

Edited by Reignfive
clarity