NP9377 880m Sager Driver Problem

proviticus

Hi all,

Before my upgrade to Windows 10 I had a strange issue (windows 8.1). My computer would just hard shutdown without any reason. I could be programming, 3d gaming, 2d gaming, or anything, and it would just turn off. No bluescreen, no logs in the event viewer, no hints whatsoever. I started monitoring temperatures and even stress tested it and couldn't get it to reproduce on command (despite being able to run very high temperatures).

So, I started doing everything I could. I opened up the laptop and cleaned it out, uninstalled many unnecessary pieces of software, upgraded drivers (using DDU in between for graphics drivers), all to no avail.

I fixed it, eventually, by downgrading drivers to the Sager official drivers for Window 8.1, which were quite old. Before where I was unable to go an afternoon without a shutdown, I went 3 weeks without one. I was elated, obviously.

Now, at the end of those three weeks I upgraded to windows 10, mainly to open up options for DX12. When I did so, I upgraded to the Sager official drivers for Windows 10 (using DDU again). The problem has no reappeared since, which is great, however the Sager official drivers use a version of the NVidia drivers that have a seemingly known issue where the mouse cursor in Windows 10 behaves strangely (stretched out, pixelated, etc).

I was wondering if I can ever expect to see another driver update from Sager, or if people think it would be safe/smart to downgrade to the Sager Windows 8.1 drivers again, or if maybe I should run the latest drivers again and cross my fingers that the shutdown doesn't reappear.

Does anyone have any advice, or has anyone gone through something similar?

Thanks to all!

You'll not see another driver from Sager for Windows 10 on that machine for the GPU. You'll have to upgrade the GPU drivers itself.

If you were getting shutdowns for no reason then you were eligible for RMA though. Especially if you can't use later drivers... which are in all sense of the word "necessary" for video cards.