e-GPU + iMac 27?

Hey guys, amazing reads in this site regarding the implementations for the eGPUs.

I was wondering if anyone ever tried to use an e-GPU with an iMac, specially the old ones 2011 or even the retina 5K. Would that be possible?

Seeing it from the POV of a gamer or even a video producer I am quite interested in knowing if its possible?

I've never tired with the internal iMac screen, as I believe that only works with Intel integrated GPUs. My one and only attempt to use Optimus on my MBA left it so the internal keyboard and trackpad didn't work, so I gave up.

That said, I did run Tomb Raider in windowed mode. I told the game to use my eGPU, but I moved the window to the iMac and it looks like it was still using the eGPU to drive the game (based on what HW Monitor was showing). Granted it wasn't amazing, but something to keep playing with.