Broke Little piece of plactic

remy47

Hello ...

By advance sorry for my english but I'm french..

When I've tried to change my HDD to replace it by a SSD I had to remove de CD Player. In order to do so I had do remove the screw. Than I've tried to remove a little piece of platic to be able to unlock theribbon cable of the CD player. This piece brake during this manoeuvre. I would like to by a other one but I'm enable to what this is called..

Thanks by advane for your help.

I've got un M14X R1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

FWIW I broke one or two of those little plastic retainers for ribbon cables (little buggers); I just super-glued the piece back together and used it again. I know it's far from recommended practice, but it isn't absolutely essential to have that particular plastic device - as long as contact is made with the pins, you could use just about anything to hold it in place. Glue from a hot glue gun works as an insulator, and can be removed fairly easily - I dabbed some on the pins from the microUSB port to the PCB of my Nexus 7 after resoldering one of them back on, and it's held up wonderfully since then.

I'm sure there are better solutions out there, but getting it to work again is more important than aesthetics IMO.

• 1 month later...

Coincidentally mine was recently broken too. By a computer shop technician!! And they did not tell me they broke it (-_-) just one side though.

I opened and disconnected my dvd-write a number of times and yes that plastic bit (white colour?) only needs to be loosened to disconnect the dvd writer, not totally come off.

Having said that, I am not sure why but I think mine is probably not detecting it as it does not appear in 'My Computer'.

But I am pretty sure it is intact, tight and in contact even with those small end tips are broken. That white plastic bit is still inserted and in good fit position.

So another problem for me is I will need to find out why is it not connected? It was not broken before and it also did not appear in My Computer (drives).