M18xR1 - Unlocking BIOS and upgrading GPU

Snozzeltoff

New to the forum but have been searching the threads for information which has been really helpful.

I wanted to unlock my BIOS to get the full potential of the 2920XM that I installed last year in my M18xR1. The best place to get the BIOS is here and as the forum has been so useful already I wanted to sign up and follow the rules to download the BIOS.

I'm also looking to upgrade my crossfire HD 6900Ms to a single GTX 780M. I have a new heatsink on the way and am looking to pick up the 780M soon. I have seen all the talk between the 780M and the 880M and that steered me away from the 880M, nothing but bad news it seems.

Anyway, thanks for the info so far and I hope to chat with more of you as time goes on.

Whilst waiitng for the heatsink and 780m to arrive I've been looking for more info on the driver mod that is required.

Can somebody clarify the M18xR1 hardware code I need to mod and the GTX 780m code too?

I hear some issues when installing these cards, do I need to re-flash the BIOS to the unlocked version or is that not required? If not then I will look to do that at a later date for OC purposes.

Thanks in advance.

• 5 months later...

I purchased duel 780's from someone on this forum a while back. I got them already flashed with VBIOS from slv07, there is a thread on these forums for the update if you have to do it yourself. Do some searching and you'll find it. If not let me know and I'll see if I can find the link again.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

I purchased duel 780's from someone on this forum a while back. I got them already flashed with VBIOS from slv07, there is a thread on these forums for the update if you have to do it yourself. Do some searching and you'll find it. If not let me know and I'll see if I can find the link again.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

are you vga and hdmi port working?

hdmi out I've recently tested and the picture worked, but I just used the sound from the PC speakers. Probably could have got it working with a simple change of the sound output options but didn't do much playing around with it. I was on the integrated graphics at the time watching a movie. The VGA out I haven't tested but I've no reason to believe it wouldn't work.