Tough Gaming Laptop

Sertis

Question

Hi, I am currently an M18r1 (CF 6990) and Gigabyte P34 (760M) user and am looking for a performance upgrade. However, it's very difficult finding shops that have gaming laptops in stock to touch/feel so i'd like to get some advice.

After owning the P34, I wanted something faster, but it needs to be tougher. While the screen on the P34 was very strong (esp. compared to the MSI and Lenovo construction I've seen, it is very thick), the mid chassis was really just very thin cast aluminum, and it buckled easily. I was considering a new Alienware 15, but I saw the AW13 at Frys but wasn't too impressed and the salesperson indicated that the AW15 also doesn't use an aluminum backed screen. The MSI Ghost also seems to be a bit too thin for my needs. I'm looking for something with a 970m performance but at least as durable as say a Dell Precision M4xxx or the M18R1. Most reviews don't go into build quality in much detail, so I would like some advice from actual owners. I also considered a GPU upgrade for the M18, but it seems like selling it and getting a new laptop would be less expensive than sourcing a pair of 880ms.

4 answers to this question

I haven't seen the brand new AW's but i have a 2014 17 with the 880m and i love the build quality of it. I thought that the new ones with the 9 series had aluminum screen back? Mine does. If you would want something with a 8 series then i'd recommend this model. You could always sell the 880 and pay a few hundred more for the 980 upgrade if you really are looking to run a 980....... ill be upgrading mine soon as well, for the moment the 880 gets the job done. Best of luck with making your decision.

I'm considering the 15" Razer Blade, does anyone have it?

Have any impressions to share?

I actually have a friend with the Blade Pro (It's 17") and the build quality is fantastic, very similar to the way a Macbook is built.

It probably has the best build quality of any laptop I've seen recently, but probably not the best buy as far as value goes. The Asus G751 is a fairly solid laptop at a much better price point with similar performance - I have the previous iteration and have not ran into many issues.