[Solved] can someone explain Trixx?

daveh98

I have the following system: m18x 2720, CF 6970 (missed the 6990 by 2 days and they wont do anything but offered me 200 off in addition), 8 gig ram, win 7 64. I am thinking of OC'ing the GPUs. I read on the tutorial that the new Trixx is simply a solution where you don't have to create any boot disks? Is this true? I never thought laptop OC was that simple for GPUs. Is there good headroom on the 6970s? How much am I missing out with the 6990s? Sorry for all the questions but I want to get good answers before I actually use Trixx. Thanks.

Edited by svl7
added [solved] tag

• Founder

How to use Trixx is pretty much straight forward, please see this Miscellaneous Tutorials | Tech|InfernoThe difference between 6990Ms and 6970Ms will be noticable. If you repaste the 6970Ms you could probably hit 840/1120 (little bit more little bit less... depends on many things)

It is very straightforward you are correct! I did read on it. I just did a mild OC to 730/930 and 3dmark vantage went from 20,250 to 21,117. Is anyone running OC 24/7, or only when gaming? Do these default back to stock clocks upon reboot or do they stay at the settings you leave them? I never really OC and am curious as to it being wise or foolish to keep a card OC'ed if it is a mild OC. I am not much of a benchmarker and just like to have the best performance when gaming.

• Founder

The only reason I don't overclock my cards is because I have a dual screen setup and anything above stock causes flickering. If you don't have an external monitor and your temperatures are fine I see no reason why not to keep the overclock, the 3D clocks will kick in only when you game or when needed otherwise they don't stay that high. I don't use Trixx to overclock because I prefer to flash the vbios with the clocks I want but I am pretty sure that once you reboot the settings are gone (that is safer because you don't risk to brick your card with a bad flash or keep crashing if you cards can't handle the overclock) unless you have the program start during boot and it will restore your saved settings.