M17xR1 Windows 8 Pro issue

KaityVoivre

I recently decided to dual boot Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Pro, but Windows 8 is giving me a headache. I'm not sure what's wrong at all and I've tried everything I can think of to fix it. The computer freezes sometimes randomly, but mainly when I go on the internet or play a video file or something. I've tried repair install and a clean install among a million other things.

I've seen others online with the M17xR1 upgrade to Windows 8 without problem, but mine seems to just resist it by freezing and BSOD. The thing is, the system runs flawlessly on Windows 7 and I really want Windows 8 to work.

I'm also having an issue getting my GTX 260M to upgrade, the computer keeps telling me it can't find a compatible driver or something like that when I try to install the newest update from NVIDIA's website. I half want to just smash this thing with a baseball bat and be done with it, so please help.

I somehow got the freezing/ BSOD issue to stop, but I tried playing Star Trek Online on the video driver Dell lists under the drivers for my R1 and I can't seem to update the driver. I edited the file as I previously did on Windows 7 (the .inf file) which seemed to force the compatibility thing before the edit (presumably because Dell locked R1s from updating the driver?) on 7, but on 8 it starts installing and then comes back and says it failed. I've tried clean install and everything.

I would really like to get 340.52 on my laptop ASAP, please help me resolve this as it's my only remaining issue on this machine.