Egpu project arctic mc 101

Varjak82

Nobody can help me?

There are zero existing AMD Trinity eGPU implementations: http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-thunderbolt-expresscard-mpcie-egpus.html#post89707 . Intel being very well represented there. I'd recommend you obtain an Intel-based machine to maximize eGPU connectivity success.

Thanks for your reply Nando.

I was asking about the trinity apu because I read a thread here http://forum.techinferno.com/hp-business-class-notebooks/2770-hello-everyone-hp-6475b-incoming.html about a user who was trying to add to a apu trinity (a4600, like mine) a egpu.

Unlucky he never posted his results, so are you sure that it is impossible to add a egpu to a amd trinity apu?

It's always been a curiosity of mine, because of the way AMD has marketed their GPUs as compatible specifically with their APUs to work in tandem in a CrossFire-esque fashion called Dual Graphics. However, if you look at that list, you'll notice your specific APU is not on it, so you'd have to do a bit of research to see what the official AMD recommendation is. Of course, the alternative is to rely solely on the eGPU in the same manner everyone on this board has tried, albeit with Intel CPUs. As no one as tried this with an AMD APU, let alone your particular configuration, you can see the risk inherent in carrying out the purchases just to try it.

Going into hypotheticals, the spec sheet for your configuration says it has an "mPCIe (mSATA)" slot, suggesting it is a combo-port that is compatible with both interfaces. As a reminder, mSATA is a slot for SSDs and is useless for an eGPU implementation; it is the mPCIe "part" of the slot that seems promising, and if it is correctly labeled should support an eGPU implementation via a product like the PE4C-PM100C V2.0 or the EXP GDC V6. A comparison between those two options is available at the EXP GDC V6 link.

Regardless, if you choose to pursue the project I would definitely choose to go with an AMD GPU to make sure that you have the highest chance of success.

Hope this helped, and good luck!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.