Multiple Monitors on AW18

Hi All

I am just about to get some new 21" monitors and intend to use them for my laptop.

Can anyone tell me if I can use the display port with the relevant adapter and also the HDMI out at the same time to drive 2 independent monitors?

Hope someone can help.

Hi All

I am just about to get some new 21" monitors and intend to use them for my laptop.

Can anyone tell me if I can use the display port with the relevant adapter and also the HDMI out at the same time to drive 2 independent monitors?

Hope someone can help.

More than likely just a maximum of two active displays.

I tried with my m14x R2 and could only have two displays active at a time:

internal + vga connected

internal + hdmi connected

vga + hdmi

I don't have any mDP adapters, so you'd have to test that. Would be curious though.

That's good then as was worried that the HDMI output along with the MDP wouldn't be of the same quality. The AW18 doesn't have VGA at all. I am not sure why they took this and the express card slot away as they are still useful even today.

Apparently you can have up to 3 external displays with this Multi Stream Transport (MST) Hub - Graphic solutions GeForce & Radeon and still use the HDMI and the laptop screen so you could have 5 in total but this is untested.

• 1 month later...

I got 3 independent screens to work with my Alienware 18. I used the minidisplay to hdmi converter to hook up another screen. So I had different desktops on my Alienware screen, monitor 1, and monitor 2. I also wondered the same thing and found out that it worked! :)

• 6 months later...
That's good then as was worried that the HDMI output along with the MDP wouldn't be of the same quality. The AW18 doesn't have VGA at all. I am not sure why they took this and the express card slot away as they are still useful even today.

Apparently you can have up to 3 external displays with this Multi Stream Transport (MST) Hub - Graphic solutions GeForce & Radeon and still use the HDMI and the laptop screen so you could have 5 in total but this is untested.

Has anyone tested this device with an AW 18x?

/imest