X8100 and 7970m is possible??

llambion

Hello guys, there are a newbie in this forum. Sorry for my english, I'm spanish

I have a X8100 sice 3 years ago and i want to upgrade my 5800m graphics card but i have tons of doubts.

I want to buy a 7970m or 8970m. Can i buy any card or i need a specific card for my laptop?

I can buy a cheap 7970m from a died laptop. Could i use this graphics card directly or i need to do something?

Thanks in advance

• 3 months later...

I have the same exact computer, but I chose to upgrade to a Clevo/Nvidia Geforce GTX 680m. Works great on Linux, and is about equal to the 7970m, with a fantastic overclock potential. I got my 680m off of ebay from a computer store that specialized in professional audio computing. They had only used it to set up bioses, but I got it half off. Arrived mint, and I get about 63c running Unengine heaven for an extended period of time. Note that in the X8100 you will need to buy a modded double heatsink, as each stock heatsink in an x8100 is only rated for 65-75w TDP, and both the 680m and the 7970m are 100w TDP cards. Because of this you will only be able to fit in one of either, but you will have a bunch of extra thermal overhead for OC'ing because the modded double heatsink has a TDP of 130-150w!! Tell me, have you tried modding the FSB to run at 1600 and using ram of that speed on this machine? I think there is a modded bios out there that enables that.

• 1 year later...
On ‎25‎.‎07‎.‎2014 at 9:59 AM, brokenshakles said:

I have the same exact computer, but I chose to upgrade to a Clevo/Nvidia Geforce GTX 680m. Works great on Linux, and is about equal to the 7970m, with a fantastic overclock potential. I got my 680m off of ebay from a computer store that specialized in professional audio computing. They had only used it to set up bioses, but I got it half off. Arrived mint, and I get about 63c running Unengine heaven for an extended period of time. Note that in the X8100 you will need to buy a modded double heatsink, as each stock heatsink in an x8100 is only rated for 65-75w TDP, and both the 680m and the 7970m are 100w TDP cards. Because of this you will only be able to fit in one of either, but you will have a bunch of extra thermal overhead for OC'ing because the modded double heatsink has a TDP of 130-150w!! Tell me, have you tried modding the FSB to run at 1600 and using ram of that speed on this machine? I think there is a modded bios out there that enables that.

Hi,

with Linux it works, but if you want to work with an X8100 with Windows, the grafic card needs to be recoginzed in the bios, otherwhise you´ll need a modded driver and i don´t know, where to get ist, because this Notebook is quite rare.

I found in the net after long search, that the following cards are supported: 

Upgradeable MXM 3.0b VGA GRAPHICS:
   - ATi Radeon Mobility: HD5870 1GB DDR5 with DVi Dual Link; single and/or CrossFireX and HD7970M 2GB DDR5 single
   - NVIDIA GeForce: GTX 680M and 480M single or GTX 460M, GTX 470M, GTX 280M, GTX 285M in SLI
   - nVidia Quadro: FX 2800M and FX 3800M; 1GB DDR3 with DVi Dual Link