OCZ RevoDrive Hybrid combines SSD and hard drive on a single PCI Express card

Guest Frontpage News

Guest Frontpage News

OCZ displayed their newly dubbed RevoDrive Hybrid. The drive is a hybrid*of *Solid State drive and Platter hard drive technology*combined to fit on a PCI Express x4 card. The unit’s hard drive also uses the SSD portion as it’s disk cache.

The decision on using 5,400 rpm or 7,200rpm hard drives is yet to be [...]

More...

Guest bifnewman

Does anyone know if the drive is replaceable? Sustained speeds look really great but does anyone know anything about the response times?

• Founder

ZDNet reports 575 Mbps reads and 500 Mbps writes. That equals to 71.87 MB/s and 62.5 MB/s respectively. (Mbps = megabits per second, MB/s = megabytes per second, 8Mbps = 1MB/s) so there has to be a typo there, otherwise I don't see how those numbers are that impressive unless they are talking about 4K random performance which I highly doubt, it seems to me more like a sequential speed (575 MB/s and 500 MB/s for reads and writes).

This technology IMO does not target high end systems since you will get better results with an SSD for the OS and the most used apps and a very big HDD for storage.