Kingston KHX DDR3 1600, one or two questions

Ixel

Hi all,

I'm seeking some opinions and advice from those who are reasonably confident at overclocking components on a system. I've overclocked the GPU to 775/1120 without artifacts, much higher either crashes the system or causes artifacts to start appearing. The CPU is using a bus speed of 103.1MHz with turbo settings overridden to the ones used in that Youtube video some of us are familiar with.

Anyway, to the point, I recently bought the memory mentioned in the thread title, Kingston KHX 1600Mz DDR3 NonECC SODIMM Memory Module (2 x 4GB). I was wondering if I should do anything much else than what I've done, which is set XMP to use Profile 2.

Profile 1 has the following settings: 7-7-7-20 at 1333MHz

Profile 2 has the following settings: 9-9-9-27 at 1600MHz

Alternatively I can obviously manually specify the above information as separate values which don't use the XMP profiles.

Let me know your views on this. Many thanks.

Hey Ixel,

You can try to individually adjust the mem settings in the bios. You may see very small increases for benching but "I doubt" you would see an increase in actual gameplay.

The stock memory that came with the m14x clocks to 1600mhz just fine as mine does now. I have ran many benchmarks and the mem always shows up as 800 (ddr).

I know most of the time the CAS can't be changed so you might try something like 9-8-8-24 with a voltage of 1.6 to see if it's stable.

*Important to remember that if you have to reset bios battery, it's tucked up underneath the palm rest. This means it's not a 3 minute reset. It takes a while longer to get to the bios battery.

** If you want to score higher in benchmarks, you may choose to re apply the thermal paste for GPU and CPU. It takes a little over 2 hours but does lower temps by 4-6c.

Personally I haven't played with the mem timings as I am very pleased the stock mem takes the 1600mhz settings perfectly in bios and the performance is just outstanding. In the early m17xr3 threads at NBR, most said the stock ram wouldn't clock to 1600 with the 2630 and you would have to purchase the kingstonx ram. On my m14x, the bios took the change first try and it showed up in memory benchmarks correctly. My ram score in windows index is 7.7. If you decide to push your ram further, let us know how you do. With lower Cas, Ras, Recharge, etc.. you will probably need to kick the voltage up to 1.6 or 1.7 as I think the standard pull is something like 1.675 once you start lowering clocks.

Good Luck,

Stevenxowens792

• Founder

One benchmark that is affected by the timings of RAM (the tighter the better) is winrar.

Download Winrar then go to tools -> Benchmark and hardware test. Try it stock first and then play with the timings (BCLK will greatly affect the performance of this benchmark as well)

winrar2e.pngwinrar2e.th.png

winrar2e.png

• Thumbs Up 2