M17x troubleshooting help

Hi everyone, i recently came into possession of a non working M17x R1. The previous owner said that it worked but the laptop would not accept a charger. Meaning that plugging the AC adapter did not charge the battery and if you removed the battery and just run the latop on AC power, the laptop would not even power up.

Unfortunately when i got the laptop the battery was basically drained so i could not even check whether the laptop would power up.

Pulling it apart i noticed that the connector for the ribbon cable going to the power switch had a broken clamp so cable was just sitting in mid air.

To cut a long story short, i purchased another motherboard and hinge cover but i still get no signs of life.

My question is...what's the minimum amount of hardware i need installed in the laptop to try and troubleshoot why there is no power. For example, can i get away with just the cpu and gpu's installed to see if there is the thing tries to power up ? Do i need the ram and hard drive installed also ?

I have another hinge cover on the way but this has the ribbon cable also just to try an eliminate the cable which goes from the motherboard to the power switch.

My AC adapter is new so that's definately not the problem.

Any help appreciated before i spend more money or just trash it as a bad joke.

Laptop specs as follow:-

Q9100 ES

5870m xfire

8g 1066 ram

500g HDD