Possibly bricked M18X R1, rough morning...

inasense

Hi Everyone,

It seems my M18X is in pretty bad shape. I recently flashed the unlocked A05 bios to help put on a modest overclock (4.2 ghz with 0 Vid, 99/56/99 & 2000 on the pri-plane). It ran great until this morning, when I went to turn the machine on aaannnddd - nothing. The only sign of life were the fans spinning, system lights, and speakers popping over and over again in 2-3 second intervals. I tried to clear the cmos using the power button method, taking the back cover off and unplugging the battery itself plus the power button method, but to no luck. I then made a blind flash and attempted recovery - again, poor results - the system has been stuck with the fans on full blast and that same "popping" noise from the speakers for the last hour, no beeps, no blinking activity light on the flash drive.

The drive's activity light did blink for a second when it first powered on, but hasn't since. I'm afraid to interrupt anything, as the guide notes this will brick the mobo. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I don't have to say goodbye to the old girl, she's well out of warranty now, so things look a bit grim if I can't get this sorted myself.

Cheers guys,

sense

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm display isn't working yes? Blind flash resets values to default? If no try to 'blind' enter the bios and reset the values, maybe BIOS is still working. You should also try to connect HDMI to TV or another display, it sometimes show something even if internal display is not working. If nothing above works i would try to test CPU in another PC and then think what's next.

Regards

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a CPU failure to me rather than a full on Brick. I don't know if it will help but have you tried disassembling and reassembling it. I had a similar problem so I just disassembled my system to the component level, cleaned everything just for the heck of it and reseated everything carefully and bam, the system was back to life