Help with i7-3740QM Overclock

superme

Hey guys, I've got my new Alienware M17x R4 with a 3740QM and have tried to overclock it properly but it always seems to throttle, I've increased the short and long power limits and the turbo time limit both in the BIOS and Throttlestop, yet when running TS Bench 1024 it will always throttle to 3.5Ghz after about 20% completion.

Here are my clocks:

1 Core Limit: 41

2 Core Limit: 40

3 Core Limit: 39

4 Core Limit: 39

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys, I've got my new Alienware M17x R4 with a 3740QM and have tried to overclock it properly but it always seems to throttle, I've increased the short and long power limits and the turbo time limit both in the BIOS and Throttlestop, yet when running TS Bench 1024 it will always throttle to 3.5Ghz after about 20% completion.

Here are my clocks:

1 Core Limit: 41

2 Core Limit: 40

3 Core Limit: 39

4 Core Limit: 39

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Power draw will increase as the CPU heats up. This may be enough to make the CPU hit the power limit, which over time is 45W on the 3740QM. It will only run at 55W for short periods of time. You also could be hitting the temp limit, but I figured you'd notice if that was happening since TS is open.

You should be able to increase your power limits by 10W.

Yeah, I've done that, with both the short and long power limits being set to 65W, the temp of the CPU never goes over 90C and the power draw never goes over about 54W during the benchmark. It's like my settings aren't actually changing anything.