Alienware M18x R2 upgrade HDD 750Gb to SSD 256Gb, PROBLEM ALIENRESPAWN!

libero

Hi All! I have a Alienware M18x R2 with AMD 7970m crossfire and 750Gb HDD seagate momentus and 32gb SSD samsung 830 for cashe. I wont to use the 750gb only for data, and I buy a new Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD and I wont install only the OS here and the recovery partition. But I have problem to do this. No problem if I wont just install windows 8, but I wont the recovery partition like the OEM 750gb becouse is very good when I move and not have the DVD with me. The problem, I thing, the factory recovery partition install all, SO recovery partition ecc.. but only if the HDD is the same, if I try to install the factory OS with DVD into the new SSD I have one message like: YOU NEED A HD 698GB OR MORE. I just wont to have at my new SSD the same utility of the Alienware factory, so the Alienrespawn. i try to clone the HD, and nothing, because the image of factore I thing is fixed for check if the disk of install have 698gb, so nothing change if I just clone the disk hold to the new SSD because if after I try to recovery the system this dont work and write to me, you need a disk 698gb etc.. Any solution? please dont write like use acronis o similar, I like just the factory DELL software, like Alienrespawn, I dont need other programs, just I wont to understand how I can use a similar fuction to recovery my system with a new SSD and without DVD and other. Any expert? Thanks at all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Respawn cd/DVD/USB will only install on same or larger drive. You are stuck with a clean install, followed by drivers from website and then create a new respawn disc.

or you can shrink the original drive, so all of the partitions total to ssd size and then create respawn disc. But afaik respawn only allows to create 1 factory install disc.