M18x r1 upgrades / problems.

Kenny_h2o

So!

I just made a big long post on my phone and it was deleted. Let me see if I can simplify.

So I had issues with my laptop declocking and running sluggish. As per Mr.Fox's help I found out that all I needed to so was clean out the plugged heat sinks. Saved me a bunch of cash as I was about to build a brand new desktop.

Now it's running better than new as I found out that my 2920xm wasn't factory overclocked as it should be. So I pumped that up to level 3 and it runs amazing.

I decided that I'd like to upgrade to the 3 pipe cooler and was wondering if a dell or Alienware rep here could help me out. ( called dell Canada and USA 5 times, I can not get then to let me order it even with provided part numbers... I can hear them reading a program basically just saying my r1 won't support it and it won't work.)

Same problem with wanting to order 7970m or 680m's as my upgrade. I would like to see how much and purchase from dell as I'm afraid of all these horror stories and what not from ebay.

So, let me start with my issue. I won't get into what I typed out about FFXIV and that benchmark and the problems I'm having. Basically what I want to say is that I am having problems with crossfire or possibly my space not running?

Now I scored about a 3k on 3dm11, MSI after burner stress test and what not only put my main GPU as 99 load... And secondary as 1-5 percent...?

My fan on the right side rarely if ever is running...? Just left and middle.

CCC always tells me that crossfire is enabled , yet GPU-z will show enabled before a bench and most times be disabled afterwards. Or simply just show disabled...

I'm confused and worried, not really sure what I should be doing or if I'm not aware of something? Are the cards supposed to run that way blast one up to 99 percent load and just put the extra 1-5 percent on the slave?

I'm running 13.8 beta drivers due to FFXIV updated support.

Though this was all also happening on 13.6 and before.

• 4 weeks later...

i know its a bit old thread but just saw it , ok see i cant help with the cross fired issue but i can tell u from my experience with the m18xR1 that i have now and i'm v. happy with it after i did some upgrades ,

i moved from the gtx 460M which came with 75W 3 pipes heatsink to the amazing gtx 780m and i cant tell u how amazing it is , using the same 75W heatsink and even the same stock AC adapter ( 240W ) after getting advice from some members here

here is the threads i followed before upgrading (how to physically modify the heatsink if ur intending to use the same one came with it )

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/3519-gtx-675mx-m18x-r2-compatible-sort-%5Bused-75w-660m-heatsink%5D.html

this one for results , benchmarks and overclocking

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/3596-alienware-m18x-r1-running-nvidia-gtx-780m-let-testing-begin.html

check my thread as reference for upgrading the GPU and the temperature results with games and benchmarks

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/4694-gtx-780m-temperature-benchmarks-m18x-r1.html

hope that helps

• 1 month later...