MSI (whitebook) 1761 and 675M/680M upgrades

Falkentyne

Hi, I currently have a 1761 whitebook with a 570m (overclocked to I think 790/1600, although I forgot the exact RAM value).

I heard you can drop in a 675M (basically a 580m) into the whitebook without any problems (besides needing an extra thermal pad).

I have two questions, though.

Do you need a BIOS update for the 1761 in order to support the 675m? Or does the stock bios already support it?

Do you need a BIOS update for the 680m?

If so, how would I go about this, before I spend a LOT of money and have it potentially wasted?

Is there anything specific i need to know about if I do NOT have to update the BIos on the whitebook or if I do have to?

There's a "MSI MS-1761 Unlocked.zip" file in the other thread but I can't download it to even see the readme because I'm new here... does this unlocked BIos allow direct support for a 680M? (I'm a working person so this is really a hassle... :( I feel sort of uncomfortable thinking of five "useful" thinigs to post, when all I want to do is avoid wasting hundreds of dollars on something that may not work...and I have a fever, too....

I'd appreciate any help in this matter. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

My MSI GT780 which is the 1761 had the 560m. I bought a 580m and it throttled. Some said that if you use throttlestop they could get past the throttling but I could not even with the upgraded 180w (vs stock 150w) powerbrick. The whitebooks are not much different if I remember.

I have now gone to a Dell 7970m with a heatsink from the MSI GX60(hard to find unfortunately at the moment)

My MSI GT780 which is the 1761 had the 560m. I bought a 580m and it throttled. Some said that if you use throttlestop they could get past the throttling but I could not even with the upgraded 180w (vs stock 150w) powerbrick. The whitebooks are not much different if I remember.

I have now gone to a Dell 7970m with a heatsink from the MSI GX60(hard to find unfortunately at the moment)

Hello,

Except 180W adapter plus correct (for nv580m) heatsink i think you will need update your BIOS to the latest version together with EC firmware update. Pay attention to correct contact between new heatsink and not only GPU chip / MEM but voltage regulator mosfets with high temp conductive thermal pads to avoid throttling then...