Jump to content
EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Guardian241

Alienware M17xR4 980m upgrade Help.

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

I recently purchased a new 980m and I'm attempting to install the custom drivers needed for it to run properly. I already attempted following this guide: https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php for modding the .inf file to make the NVIDIA driver install but it would fail as soon as I run "setup.exe" as administrator and just close itself.

 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or does anyone with the same laptop / GPU have files they could send me to make this process easier? Any help would be appreciated. I currently am stuck on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter until I get this fixed.

 

Kind Regards.

 

- M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Guardian241 said:

Hi,

 

I recently purchased a new 980m and I'm attempting to install the custom drivers needed for it to run properly. I already attempted following this guide: https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php for modding the .inf file to make the NVIDIA driver install but it would fail as soon as I run "setup.exe" as administrator and just close itself.

 

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or does anyone with the same laptop / GPU have files they could send me to make this process easier? Any help would be appreciated. I currently am stuck on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter until I get this fixed.

 

Kind Regards.

 

- M

Hi!

Try to use already created .inf files from this place:  https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/j95-nvidia-inf/

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Guardian241 said:

Thanks, Klem! Which file should I go for here? A lot of the inf files on that link are no longer available :(.

I recommend that you try different versions suitable for your Windows version and suitable for your laptop model (AW).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2022 at 4:05 AM, Klem said:

I recommend that you try different versions suitable for your Windows version and suitable for your laptop model (AW).

So I contacted prema mod directly and they sent me the files necessary for the 980m on Windows 10 with my M17xR4. After installing I still get the same problem as when I manually edited the .inf files and my screen just goes blank and is unresponsive.

 

pzfzJqH.jpeg

 

Any ideas how to fix this? Have I done something wrong?

 

Kind Regards

 

- M

Edited by Guardian241

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Klem said:

 

Thanks for the response, Klem. Would you be able to provide me with an unlocked A17 bios for my Alienware M17xR4?

Edited by Guardian241

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Guardian241 said:

Thanks for the response, Klem. Would you be able to provide me with an unlocked A17 bios for my Alienware M17xR4?

If you need to unlock your bios, then create your bios backup (bios dump). To create backup of bios you can use attached utility. Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the backup tool as Administrator (right click mouse, choice "Run as Administrator").  Utility will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Send me this archive "results", or upload it into any fileserver and send me the link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

or

http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Klem said:

If you need to unlock your bios, then create your bios backup (bios dump). To create backup of bios you can use attached utility. Extract attached archive directly on the Desktop and run the backup tool as Administrator (right click mouse, choice "Run as Administrator").  Utility will create archive "results" directly on the Desktop. Send me this archive "results", or upload it into any fileserver and send me the link.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/mxoavw

or

http://www120.zippyshare.com/v/NC9WuxRI/file.html

I currently have an A15 bios that you provided me a few months ago but would like to upgrade to an A17 to try to make this 980m work. Do I need to do something else or should I just send you the A17 bios I have downloaded from Dell?

 

edit: installing the A17 bios now and sending you the dump you requested.

 

EDIT: I tried installing the A17 bios but it gave me a "unsupported system" message then didn't complete the install.

Edited by Guardian241

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Guardian241 said:

I currently have an A15 bios that you provided me a few months ago but would like to upgrade to an A17 to try to make this 980m work. Do I need to do something else or should I just send you the A17 bios I have downloaded from Dell?

 

edit: installing the A17 bios now and sending you the dump you requested.

 

EDIT: I tried installing the A17 bios but it gave me a "unsupported system" message then didn't complete the install.

The latest bios version for Alienware M17x R4, it's a A15 version:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/alienware-m17x-r4/drivers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Guardian241 said:

When talking with the seller of the 980m they asked me to update to a A16 or higher bios. Did they make a mistake?

In this case, I recommend that you ask the official Dell support for the latest BIOS version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.