blue vertical lines

delosanto

Hello everybody,

I have a strange problem with my ASUS G50V laptop. All of a sudden my screen started showing 5 columns of about 7 vertical lines of turquoise lines (sometimes they flicker too when I move the cursor over them). Another strange thing is that when I removed the back cover and applied a pressure on a certain place of the heat sink (not directly above the GPU but about 3 cm to the left) the lines disappear or turn red and when I reboot the laptop Windows even detect the correct video card and everything works fine until I release the pressure from the heat sink, then the lines appear again. Also when the computer is cold the lines do not show. Any ideas what might be causing it? Please help.

Thank you.

• Founder

Most likely overheating is causing this GPU failure. Hopefully there is no permanent damage.

For a start download GPU-Z and monitor your temps.

Also clean the vents and make sure you have proper airflow underneath your laptop. A repaste will be beneficial as well but if your GPU is already damaged and you 're within warranty you should better ask for a replacement, sooner or later it will fail. (there are a couple of solutions left but not recommended at this point).

welcome to the forum btw

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome to the forum. Sounds as if the heatsink is damaged and not functioning correctly if its not in the right position with your hand not holding the heatsink and theres issues ... then like Stamatisx said seek repair under warranty. The gpus could be damaged as Stamatis says and again hopefully not. For the price we pay for these high performance systems seeking a repair is a better idea just in case it ever got worse than that. Repaste may fix issues or reseating the heatsink but honestly blue lines and purple are not coomon for most gpus overheating most shut down or throttle not have artifacts. Even when overclocking video memory or graphics core the results of a bad overclock are more like black random shapes and missing textures or tons of blocks or triangles of random colors like a dead pixel on an lcd. Going by what ive seen so nothings dead obvious on what to do on this. If the problems really are occuring and the heat isnt in excess of 85-100c theres likely something very wrong as modern gpus have a common max temp from 90-105celcius. Good luck you can always post a gpu-z log of playing up until the lines using continuous refresh option and log in sensor tab. Post here we can see what temps are like :)

Did some digging sorry its from NBR but found post talking about similar issues seems you should immediately take this up with Asus and get repair or full replacement your issues have happened to others right from factory. Here is link

Sent in my g50V for repairs

I hope it works out these guys had some nazty issues and luck :(

Push replacement for less wait and better chance its in perfect shape. But repair is okay to so long as Asus takes responsibility :(

thank you all for their input, im going to take the heat sink and gpu apart and will clean and re-paste everything, the problem is that my laptop is over 3 years old and i no longer have any documentation that came with it. i would like to point out that the lines occur only when the laptop is warmed up. for example i left it in the car overnight a couple days ago and in the morning everything worked flawlessly. last night out of desperation i fixed the problem with a kind of a redneck fix, i used a stack of cardboard paper folded the way it applies pressure on that certain place on the heatsink and closed the back lid tight. for now it works, i even ran a benchmark test and stressed the card to the max, no crash or lines whatsoever.

Okay I retract some of the previous. If put pressure on it like that did the trick good. Did you see any broken parts of the mounting brackets or anything associated with the heatsinks mount? Can you improve pressure direct from the way its mounted like a washer under one of the screws but above the heatsink so it creates more pressure? Beside that perhaps if its lose buy a replacement thermal paste and replace that and then get the heatsink to have more pressure. After three years of a lose heatsink somewhere along the way the existing paste may be thin and in areas non existent on spots of the gpu die. Its up to you for now the pressure does seem to be basic fix but cleaning and freshly replacing the thermal material could bring a total fix if out of warrant

Edited by mw86

@unreal25 - nvidia geforce 9800m gs

i took everything apart, cleaned and re-pasted GPU & CPU but without any positive results, the only thing that works is the cardboard paper but only temporarily. i've tried applying all kinds of pressure on different spots on the heat sink, turning on the laptop for a while without the heat sink, stuffing some isolation underneath the card but as i said, nothing permanently worked. the lines show up eventually and this is getting really frustrating not really knowing whether it is the card or motherboard. but im hoping it's the video card. so i guess i am going to order a new graphic card from ebay, ive seen some around 150 USD which is still much cheaper than buying a new gaming laptop.

thank you all for their advice

its not impossible but not guaranteed. you have new one coming so thats good. perhaps it will fix this one but if attempted be sure everything plastic is off if any of it is plastic. could destroy it... but i guess you dont mind since new one is coming.