late 2013 MBP + Win10 on USB3-SSD + Akitio Thunder 2 + GTX 1060.... works finally

maxgeb

Yesterday i put together my eGPU-Setup (1060 because i want to play games in windows, i don't mind the lacking drivers for mac os).

• MB Pro Retina 11,1 (Late 2013)
  • Akitio Thunder 2 with a GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 IXOC 3GB (card is a little too high to close the akitio without modding the case)
  • Only a Desktop PSU connected to the GPU, no Power to the Akitio itself (didn't want to hack around with the wires)
  • Win 10 To Go on a USB-3.0 Samsung T1 SSD

It works in Windows if....

• Boot first into Mac Os
  • Hotplug the powered GPU via Thunderbolt to macos (no drivers but gets recognized as pci device)
  • run the automate-eGPU.sh -a script (had to boot into recovery terminal once)
  • do a soft-reboot into windows 
  • windows boots onto the external monitor connected to the gpu
  • internal screen stays black so far, Intel Iris is not available in device manager

A Power-off, wait, and Power-on Power cycle prior booting to windows (or hot-plugging in windows) didn't work in any way, i tried almost 50 times.

Edited by maxgeb