2015 15 igpu or 2016 13 nTB for eGPU

Lou-X

Hi all, I am going to buy a MacBook pro and I am interested in eGPU possible solution for the future.

Is there any difference between the two models in terms of eGPU upgradability?

I know that the latest is tb3, could be this an important point to take in consideration or also tb2 could work well?

Models I'm taking in consideration are the 15' 2015 model with iGPU (the one selling now on the store) and the new 2016 macbook pro 13' without touchbar.

Which one should be the best buy with egpu in mind?

Thank you for any input

A lot will come down to how much the CPU is needed.

The 15" machines can have 4 Core CPUs while the 13" nTB 2016 is always 2 Core

O. the plus side, the nTB may be the only one that doesn't need a DSDT edit to enable Windows eGPU of the 2016 models.

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot will come down to how much the CPU is needed.

The 15" machines can have 4 Core CPUs while the 13" nTB 2016 is always 2 Core

O. the plus side, the nTB may be the only one that doesn't need a DSDT edit to enable Windows eGPU of the 2016 models.

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go for the nTB since the only turn down is the cpu power but you get much more portability (and the igpu is very similar if not better on the 13)
I hope that i5 will handle a eGPU solution in the future.
Also seeing theitsage used the same machine for a setup is making me more comfortable.