Need help P170HM3 + 580M beeping, black screen

daboosh

A few months ago, the 580M in my P170HM3 I purchased in 2011 died. Bought a 580M off ebay, made sure it was the correct version and that it came from a Clevo laptop. I'm sure the seller could have lied but I made the swap and for a few months everything has been working fine. 

About a week ago I started getting a weird issue where the screen would go black and three lights on the right side of the laptop would flash with a loud beeping noise. Fans would jump to 100% and the laptop would eventually shut down. 

Why is this happening after so many months of working fine? I thought it was a driver upgrade but I completely wiped Win10 off my system and installed a fresh new copy of Win7 with no luck. Same problem. 

I did some reading here and I am wondering if a Prema EC + BIOS might help me out. 

Current versions:

BIOS: 1.01.02

KBC/EC: 1.00.05

vBIOS: 70.24.2B.00.06

Any help would be much appreciated 

• 4 weeks later...

Does it crash in Windows only when running a game, or does it happen even when doing nothing?

If this happens on its own then the issue is the 580m is dying. If it only happens in games the card still may be dying, but cooling issues like dried out thermal pads could be triggering a VRM related temperature shutdown.

Driver problems can cause crashes, but they should not be able to cause the beeping/flashing.

Also in regards to the 580m version it does not matter if it's Clevo or Alienware. Both run fine.