Help with resolution with an external screen

Fry

I am having an issue getting the expected 2550x1440 resolution from my new Dell 27" screen.

The easy option unfortunately isn't an option because alienware went with a vga adaptor over a DVI-D. VGA gets the resolution up to 2048x1120 (I believe).

I have tried using HDMI to HDMI and am at a road block as to what is going wrong (being limited to a 1920x1080). I have a HDMI cable rated up to 4000x resolution (Belkin series 2000), the alienware website states it has the HDMI 1.2 port so it shouldnt be an issue there. I am running 6900 xfire on driver version 8.881.0.0

Any thoughts? Would it be worth looking for updated drivers? Also is there a way to verify what drivers I have for the HDMI port?

• Founder

I have the Dell U2410 so it has a lower resolution (1920x1200) and I connect it using the display port, but,

do you extend the displays or you duplicate them?

In order to have different resolutions between your laptop and your external display right click on your desktop -> Screen resolution

post-3-14494992008498_thumb.jpg

and on multiple display from the drop down menu select "Extend these displays" after that you can select the display and the resolution separately.

You don't have to bother with driver versions and cables

• Thumbs Up 1

Stam's exactly right on this your issue is you must be in mirror mode which uses highest res of lowest res display over both displays. like Stam said pick extend displays etc.. these controls are also in the Catalyst control center too both work.. probably more options available in the control center... especially Eyefinity etc... nother way to do it is make tv primary display and disable lcd via catalyst allowing max res to be used on your tv plus uses less resources since only one display is enabled... its up to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just incase it will help anyone in the future. The only way to recieve the resolution of 2550x1440 is to use the mini display port on the laptop. The HDMI port on the current version of the m18x is limited to 1920x1080 (It might be 1920x1200 but it wasnt an option with my screen) and the vga port is limited to 2048x1???

Took a few weeks to deliver, but the solution was as simple as waiting for the mini display port to pisplay port adaptor to arrive. Must I say though the wait was well worth it, the cards are more than able to support the higher resolution in games at full settings and nothing beats more pixels =p

• Thumbs Up 2

+1... so you need a mini-display port to standard size display port? so if your tv does not have "display port" you can't use over 180p to 1200p...(ithink that limit is based on same resolution of your internal monitor) my R2 displayed at 1200p on hdmi i thought...

I just checked on my R1 and I recieved the same 1920x1080 through hdmi. I am pretty sure hdmi is up to 1920x1200 so I believe it is just the resolution of the screen that is preventing the selection.

Well it will actually depend on the TV/computer screen. Even if the screen does not have a display port available if, and I stress the if, the hdmi port on the screen is rated to a higher resolution you can use a hdmi cable rated to higher resolutions (the same cables required for 3d tv's) and a mini display port to hdmi adaptor (again with the hdmi port rated to a higher standard) to get the higher resolution. Now when I was looking at adaptors and cables very few listed to what resolutions they supported so it might be a little hit and miss especially if you need to go through ebay to find an adaptor.

HDMI Cables

explains the difference with hdmi and why it can be an issue. But in essence you need the high speed hdmi

• Thumbs Up 2

thanks for the headsup on the hdmi display port mystery.

one thing you can do i know works every time is go into your video control panel and disable your internal lcd after enabling your tv over hdmi... and that way make the tv primary... now if tv supports it and video card supports it you can go beyond the resolution of internal lcd of laptop. sometimes not selecting mirror and using it as an extended panel will allow resolution on tv to be higher than internal lcd of laptop. Either way example is Fujitsu N6470 w/ Ati HD2600 (M) and its lcd is 1400x900 so when hooked to tv it wont let it be higher if mirrored and i had two options if adding tv as extended desktop or make tv primary and temporarily disable internal... then 1080P became an option for me... tv didnt have a higher res anyway... but otherwise i was limited to 1400x900...