M18x R2 Max GPU Fan speed?

I just got a 980m and got the Prema V2 vbios installed and everything is working great.  I was playing Division and my temps started to creep up a bit.  I was at 90c and the fan was barely going so I installed HWinfo and got the temps under control. With the fan running with hwinfo the temps got back down to 75-80c. I imaging thermal paste needs some settle time as well. I just got it running yesterday.

I was just wondering what the max RPM for the gpu fan is?  I've been using 5000 rpm as a top and it rarely gets going that fast but I don't want to wreck something either.

Recommendations for custom GPU fan speeds?

Update: I dug out my old CoolerMaster laptop cooler.  It has three fans powered by a usb port and pushes right into the three fan ports on the bottom of the laptop.  It's dropped the in use temp down to 70c. These cheesy laptop coolers do make a difference.

Edited by yohojones

• 1 month later...

The highest I have seen the GPU fans spin up to is 4,200 rpms.

I am currently also running dual 980m SLI, I am using 2 modified AMD 100watt 3-pipe heatsinks. I don't see my temps go above 70°C even while benchmarking. Also using Prema's vBIOS v2 for Clevo on Dell cards.

here are my settings.

5P739e0.png

Another useful tip:

Once you have HWiNFO autostart setup, to automatically start the fan control too, you need to put the following entry at the end of the HWiNFO32/64.INI file:
OpenFanCtrlMin=1
Just make sure this entry in under the [Settings] section.