I've got 2 graphics cards - 7970M's. I believe one card is Revision 1.1 and the other one is Revision 1.2 because it has double row of capacitors as described here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/amd-hd-7970m-revision-through-software.788469/
Laptop is XMG P702 Pro (P170EM). I bought it with 7970M (Rev 1.2) from a guy who said he played a game and laptop just went BSOD. Since then, the card doesn't work properly. Win 8 was installed, I removed it and installed Windows 7 so it's easier to boot in Safe Mode.
Things I have tried so far:
- with XMG BIOS (version 1.02.17)
1) BIOS recognizes the GPU - 7970M
2) Safe Mode works, I see the GPU, if drivers installed it is 7970M, if not, then Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, I can run DDU no problem
3) Windows detects the GPU under Display Adapters as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
4) I have tried different AMD drivers, some of them install the drivers with no problems in Windows and the GPU shows as 7970M with no warnings or such, some show black screen during installation. Clevo 7970M.zip (believe driver is 126.96.36.199) package from Clevo website installs normally and during Windows loading screen, I see the mouse and after few seconds I see the black screen with top left underscore blinking. I also hear the Windows welcome sound. (Tested with Teamviewer autostart from my PC, I see the desktop, but it's like Minecraft, whenever I drag mouse around, it creates some blocks)
- with latest PREMA BIOS (version 1.02.17PM v2)
1) After installing Clevo 7970M.zip driver, laptop boots to Windows and 7970M shows Code 43 in Device Manager.
2) Safe Mode works, DDU too, 7970M shows up when drivers installed, Standard VGA Graphics Adapter when not installed.
Now with the second 7970M... Revision 1.1.
1) doesn't pass POST screen with old BIOS
2) doesn't pass POST screen with PREMA BIOS (I press F2 and it shows as selected, but just hangs on it at that moment)
3) laptop starts beeping and shutdowns
Note: 7970M has been tested in Alienware 17 R1, BIOS shows 7970M, Windows show 7970M, drivers installed, all good.
Question: does Rev. 1.1 work in P170EM? If so, could it be wrong VBIOS?
P.S. After checking out physically 7970M Rev. 1.2, I found everything to be messy around the double row of capacitors, especially one bridge so I decided to remove it and make everything clean, but later I found in the first link I posted, there should actually be a bridge? Acted too fast, stupid... (I have quality soldering station, hot air station and microscope). I didn't examine the GPU at first, I tried all the methods above, didn't work, then I proceeded with desoldering the bridge and trying again the GPU. Didn't work either. I can resolder the bridge if necessary?
I can give you pictures from the GPU's, VBIOS or anything else that you might think could be useful.
If it turns out 7970M Rev. 1.1 needs another VBIOS, I was thinking of getting EEPROM Programmer, desoldering the GPU BIOS chip and flashing new (compatible) one to it. Ideas?
P.S. #2 if anyone could drop a hint on what to physically check on the 7970M Rev. 1.2, that would be great. I googled the black screen problem and could it be that voltage regulator is blown? I don't mind resoldering another one.