Jay89

Win 10 or 8.1

Hi all,

I have just brought a gtx980m and was wondering what OS people would suggest to move to 10 or 8.1 (I use 7 atm) any advice/ experience & or tips would be greatly appreciated

also would it be worth getting a 330w psu? (i have a 240 atm)

I had heaps of issues with win 10 getting it to recognise my 980M in optimus mode on the 10162 build and if i had it in dedicated mode it would just black screen from a cold boot so i am staying with win 8.1.

you should be OK with win 7 if you don't care to run your lappy off the 980M (PEG Mode) but if you do then you really need to go to 8.1....even though the performance of it is not as popular by many people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you I had no idea it would work with win 7 would you be able to point me in the direction of a post or a thread that tells me how to get it work. As when I've looked i could only find people to get it to work in 8.1 & 10. I guess its not as simple as: driver clean, swap, install modded drivers? don't i need to run it in UEFI mode?

Thank you I had no idea it would work with win 7 would you be able to point me in the direction of a post or a thread that tells me how to get it work. As when I've looked i could only find people to get it to work in 8.1 & 10. I guess its not as simple as: driver clean, swap, install modded drivers? don't i need to run it in UEFI mode?

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17.html

try there.

Yeah id looked in there before but found it hard to navigate to find the right information, i think i had been looking at posts related to different systems to mine as i could only find stuff that was saying to need 8 or above but I've started to find the right pages now

thank you

Yeah id looked in there before but found it hard to navigate to find the right information, i think i had been looking at posts related to different systems to mine as i could only find stuff that was saying to need 8 or above but I've started to find the right pages now

thank you

if you use 8.1 then you have to go full UEFI. win 7 is optimus only with the legacy BIOS.