m17x r4 display upgrade

Siplast

Has anyone on site attempted and been successful at installing 120hz 3d display to and m17x r4 , spoke to aw tech who said that the usb adpter for the 3d has no place to plug in inside the unit( if not preinstalled from factory) and that the cable /usb would have to be routed outside the unit to enable the 3d function. I am aware to use the alternate plug in for screen that has screws to hold it in place and I have seen some info on other sites as to advice on how to do this install. I have not seen detailed info from anyone who had completed this install successfully. Also has anyone solved the issue of 3d graphics after upgrade to 780m on m17x r4?

Thanks for any help

Thanks J95 for the quick response ! It would seem that without a factory installed emitter board(similar in theory to r3) which I believe is a part of the m17x r4 mobo when ordered as 3d from dell: That it would not be advisable to convert unless you just want the 120hz rate function without 3d.

R3 panel LG LGD02C5 120Hz, (3D Vision) external display using mini-dp port (DUAL-LINK).

R4 panel Samsung SEC5044 120Hz, you need the proper cable (R4 eDP).

R4 screen display complete assembly / #DHCG2 , contacting them (service tag) the price will drop significantly Alienware M17XR4 Voyager MLK - DHCG2

8g5m.png

Check cables/connectors.

- eDP connector/cable

- 3D Vision emitter cable (Black)

- Camera/Microphone (white)

• 1 year later...

Finally got around to installing the 120hz screen with 3d emitter and no issues on the install, Thanks J95 for your help ! I am finding out now as I try to disable legacy for uefi install of 8.1 on my M-SATA that I cant disable the legacy mode and receive cant detect MXM and GOP driver also I cant enable secure boot. I tried Installing administrator Pass as I read this somewhere but no joy. Do I need to flash vbios for my 680m since the integrated intel gpu is out of the picture? If so what vbios should I use ?

Thanks to any who chime in.