M18X R2 - Fan table issue / Overheating / EC Controller to blame ?

M18XCope123

Hi Guys,

I have a strange problem, and i have been trying it resolve it with the top guy who is Mr Fox.
Before i give up hope i was just wondering if anybody may be able to help me please.

I have a m18x r2 with a 7970M gpu installed, the fan tables seem really bad and are causing overheating. The GPU fan seems to come on at low RPM when it feels like it and doesn't sometimes come on at all upwards to 100 degrees C , obviously i shut the machine down before it gets to this.

I have flashed the bios with the modified one, but from my research on other posts it seems the EC controller is responsible for the fan tables, is there anyway i can flash this or somehow reset it ?

I can manually control the fans with HWmonitor, and it registers against the GPU temperature, but i don't want this as the only thing from frying the GPU.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Could it be something physical that is damaged here that i am just not seeing?

Here is a video of the fan in HWinfo saying it's about to start then immediately drops to 0 it does this every 2 or 3 seconds.

The CPU fan seems to start as it should , when it should. I have also replaced the fan with a spare i had but still no luck !
Thanks all.
Edited by M18XCope123

hello, i'm on your system too, first please specify OS version and gpu's driver in use.

in multiplayer gaming at 20°ambient max gpu temp is 75° with fan spin occasionaly, or 65° with fan on half speed (win10 vs win7, every os and driver seems to use in  a different way the fan)

Beside the possible software issue, are you ever clean or repaste system and gpus?

If i remeber right, ec control is embedded or in bios or in card but not very moddable (bugged hwinfo control give only 2 safe choose) so i'll suggest you to try out different driver version for your 7970m CF.

Here the best drivers for my games(bf4, skyrim, AC, etc.)

if on win7 try 16.12.2whql

if on win 8.1/10 try 15,6b

Before a driver install i use displayDriverUnistaller (DDU) in safe mode.

regards,

luca

P.S.:

try to reflash your bios too, I'm on unlocked v11 from NBR's forum magical user

Edited by aaronloveweed

7 hours ago, aaronloveweed said:

hello, i'm on your system too, first please specify OS version and gpu's driver in use.

in multiplayer gaming at 20°ambient max gpu temp is 75° with fan spin occasionaly, or 65° with fan on half speed (win10 vs win7, every os and driver seems to use in  a different way the fan)

Beside the possible software issue, are you ever clean or repaste system and gpus?

If i remeber right, ec control is embedded or in bios or in card but not very moddable (bugged hwinfo control give only 2 safe choose) so i'll suggest you to try out different driver version for your 7970m CF.

Here the best drivers for my games(bf4, skyrim, AC, etc.)

if on win7 try 16.12.2whql

if on win 8.1/10 try 15,6b

Before a driver install i use displayDriverUnistaller (DDU) in safe mode.

regards,

luca

P.S.:

try to reflash your bios too, I'm on unlocked v11 from NBR's forum magical user

7 hours ago, aaronloveweed said:

I have flashed with Swicks modified bios - that is the only bios that seems to resolved the fan table issues, the machine is now working perfectly ! PHEW :) i did try all official bios and a few other unlocked etc, but Swicks was the one that has resolved this for me :)