DA-2 Cable Question for GTX 970 8-pin

Creativie

Hi, I have a eGPU setup with GTX 960 and I decided to upgrade the graphics card to GTX 970. I noticed that it isn't a 6-pin, but rather a 8-pin female on GTX 970. I found this cable on ebay and wondering if this would work in powering GTX 970 with 2 6-pin cables from the modified DA-2 Power supply?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/141904025866?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So currently you have a Dell DA-2 and an adapter cable that results in 1xbarrel plug and 2x6-Pin PCIe plugs?

If that is the case, than yes, you can use an adapter to go from 2x6-Pin to 1x8-Pin.

Is it the short GTX970 ASUS card? Keep in mind that this card will not allow you to close the AKiTiO case anymore!

19 hours ago, Dschijn said:

So currently you have a Dell DA-2 and an adapter cable that results in 1xbarrel plug and 2x6-Pin PCIe plugs?

If that is the case, than yes, you can use an adapter to go from 2x6-Pin to 1x8-Pin.

Is it the short GTX970 ASUS card? Keep in mind that this card will not allow you to close the AKiTiO case anymore!

Yeah, the card is GTX 970 Asus. I am not planning on closing the case due to ventilation issue (and I certainly don't have the tools to mod the case). Do you think GTX 970 is worth the price considering my Macbook's CPU (13" 2015 i5) will probably bottleneck? Or should I just grab GTX 960 because of this?

Edited by Creativie

• 9 months later...

Hi guys, I have some noob questions.

Would the Dell DA-2 connect directly to Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini, which has an 8-pin? NO, now I know that I need a modification.

Would Dell DA-2 be able to provide enough power to Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini and Akitio?

I found this cable on ebay, do you know if it would work to build my eGPU setup?

Edited by Bertoldo Fonseca
  • Thumbs Up 1