I have completed my first eGPU today with the following spec:

Corsair AX760 PSU

EVGA GTX 680 Classified

Akito Thunder 2 enclosure

Custom barrel connector from PSU molex

Macbook pro retina late 2013 13 inch

OSX 10.10.3

Nvidia Web Drivers (latest)

I am very happy it drives my 4k monitor well which my Macbook could not, however in games the graphics card flakes out after 10-30 minutes of play and the whole system kernel panics.

I have seen on here that people have had stability issues with the 600 series, could moving to a 700 or 900 series card cure my stability issues do you think or could there be another problem?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Kind Regards,

Jamie

That's weird…

But that is a power hungry card. So I would have two guesses:

- both 8-Pin PCIe power plugs attached?

- overheating. Do the fans spin up? Can you maybe try to test with a Unigine benchmark if you see a temperature?

That's weird…

But that is a power hungry card. So I would have two guesses:

- both 8-Pin PCIe power plugs attached?

- overheating. Do the fans spin up? Can you maybe try to test with a Unigine benchmark if you see a temperature?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, yes both 8 pin connectors attached.

I just swapped it out for my wife's GTX 770 and I had the same issue (although it took a lot longer.) I *think* that I am running in to heat issues, although the CPU core is not too hot i think the rear side of the card might be as there is no airflow over it.

I am going to try to add a 120mm fan to the mix and see how I get on with that.

Kind Regards,

Jamie

But do the GPU fans spin up at all?

Hi - yes the GPU fan seems to be functioning as normal on both cards.

It does increase speed a little during play but not to the extent you would expect if the card was overheating, however after burning my hand on the side of the card I have come to realise that these things need some airflow to cool the board as well!

I am running some tests now with a 120mm fan atop the card.

GPU proximity sensor 73 degrees in Heaven Benchmark.

post-36540-14495000282424_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jamie

Strike my last comment, problems still persist - graphics fan isnt spinning up fast enough during games, sometimes just stays at default speed and card is thermal throttling framerate gradually decreases until game is unplayable.

Both GTX 680 and GTX 770 having these problems.

In order to try to resolve the problem I have added my graphics card to the relevant section in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext.

This enables the graphics states that control clock speeds / fans.

It seems to have loaded the information as my Console reports the following now:

14/06/2015 14:51:20.000 kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] build GPUDict by Vendor10deDevice1184

Whereas before it was reporting:

14/06/2015 14:36:42.000 kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform

The fan seems to be spinning up a bit quicker in games, but I can't be sure whether this has fixed everything yet.

I'll let you guys know.

Kind Regards,

Jamie

-- update

Graphics card is always staying in the same state as the driver is doing this over and over non-stop

14/06/2015 15:45:09.000 kernel[0]: AGPM: GPU = display AGPM P state changes to 1 (mapped to VP state 9) from 1, ControlID = 17. SW occupancy updated.