MSI GT70 0ND trouble with installing Dell videocard GTX580M

vw_hujer

Hello everyone,

I have MSI GT70-0ND notebook, originally with the GTX670M 3GB videocard, which has died 2 months ago. I did not want to spend much money for new videocard, so i decided to buy dell GTX580M because for its price. Its new, factory sealed in antistatic package, so i dont think it's defective.

Here is my progress:

-I flashed MSI GTX580M vbios onto the card, than install newest nvidia drivers without problems. Card seems like working, GPU-z detecting it and 3D aplications can be started(furmark), but I dont know why, it runs only in P0 or P1 (50Mhz-75Mhz). And power button lights always orange(before, with 670m the button was switching between white and orange light according to what GPU is actually used). Is the 580m optimus compatible?

-tried to flash MSI GTX675M vbios, installing drivers without problems... Restart computer.. during windows startup the power button was switching white-orange, than in the idle was white. I thought i won. But... Tried to start GPU-z and... BSOD always appears. Try some 3D application - BSOD

-Didnt know what to do, so i updated ntb bios and firmware to E1762IMS.51X and 1762EMS1.T24.

than was doing the same steps round and round without result.

Does somebody know what to do? Could somebody help me please? I dont know if i should sell card and buy GTX770 or 780 for example, or should i try more vbioses etc...

Should I post BSOD log? Or another information?

Thank you in advance,

best regards

Vaclav from Czech republic

p.s.: Sorry for my poor english ;)

• 2 months later...

It's been a couple months since you posted, so I'm not really expecting a reply from you (maybe from someone else though), but I zeroed-in on something you mentioned in your post, and I wonder if anyone can clarify it for me. You mention that the power light changes colors from white to orange. Well my GTX 675M card died in my GT70 0ND about two weeks ago. I've been trying to use just the onboard Intel HD graphics chip, but the darn fan comes on full-blast. I'm looking to get an unlocked BIOS to hopefully fix that problem (at least keep the fan from freaking out).

So why does the power light change colors? Of what significance is it? I notice that mine starts out white and then almost immediately switches to orange, and I think it did that even when my Nvidia card was working.