Samsung SSD Migration Impressions

dmzxls

I wanted to make a quick post regarding my recent impressions getting set up with a Samsung 840 evo 750gb, specifically the data migration from my initial system drive to the new ssd.

The laptop I was installing the SSD into is only able to accommodate a single internal drive. This provided a convenient excuse to purchase an external enclosure/docking station/usb3 hub.

After a bit of googling, I came to discover Samsung's Data Migration Tool for their SSD drives. With my new SSD docked in the external enclosure, I ran the migration tool, swapped out my internal drive, and booted without an issue. It was extremely simple.

Another item of note is that the usb3 speeds with the external drive dock were fantastic. After some reading, it was apparent that a number of external enclosures market usb3 support, but their internal components restrict making max use of it.

The entire migration process (~140gb) took around 20 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...
I wanted to make a quick post regarding my recent impressions getting set up with a Samsung 840 evo 750gb, specifically the data migration from my initial system drive to the new ssd.

The laptop I was installing the SSD into is only able to accommodate a single internal drive. This provided a convenient excuse to purchase an external enclosure/docking station/usb3 hub.

After a bit of googling, I came to discover Samsung's Data Migration Tool for their SSD drives. With my new SSD docked in the external enclosure, I ran the migration tool, swapped out my internal drive, and booted without an issue. It was extremely simple.

Another item of note is that the usb3 speeds with the external drive dock were fantastic. After some reading, it was apparent that a number of external enclosures market usb3 support, but their internal components restrict making max use of it.

The entire migration process (~140gb) took around 20 minutes.

Have you had a chance to install samsung magician yet? It will allow you to enable "RAPID mode" which uses your ram as a buffer for reads/writes which can give you speeds anywhere between 1000 mb/s and 2000 mb/s