M18X r1 Bios problem

oleq83

Hello.

I recently purchased a used Alienware M18x. I decided to replace the two 6990m graphics cards that were in the machine, with a 7970m.

After putting the new graphics card in the machine, I tested it to see that everything was working fine, before re-assembling. Everything seemed to be working fine. The new card was recognised both in bios and in windows.

I decided to then re-assemble the machine.

Now, after I re-assembled the machine, I just got 5 beeps and black screen when powering on.

I followed the instructions in this thread, except I renamed the file to PAR10X64.fd, since I have the R1 version http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/1981-how-recover-bad-flash-alienware-m18x-r2.html

The flashing process semmed to do the trick and after flashing to an older bios, the computer was powering on as normal again.

However, now the problem is that after every time I power down the machine, the computer is back to the 5 beeps. So every time I shut down the computer, I have to go through the bad flash proccess, in order to use the computer.

I have tried to update to latest bios after the bad flash proccess, but it didn't help.

I have also tried removing cmos battery, pressing power button for 30 seconds while no power connected to the machine and I've tried shorting the two pins where the battery connects on the motherboard, but nothing worked.

I would be very greatful if anyone had any idea to what could have happened to the machine.

The problem was with the cmos battery and it is now fixed.

I now have a different problem though.

I can no longer switch to the integrated video card. When I press FN + F7 in windows, I am notified to restart the computer to switch to the integrated video card. But this does not work. The integrated video card is also not recognised by the Bios.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

You may have to download and install the Alienware Command Center to get the OSD features (like on-the-fly igpu/discrete graphics switching) back. Some links that may be helpful (I'm assuming you're on an R1, judging by the original gpu's it came with):

Command Center download page Driver Details | Dell US

OSD application Driver Details | Dell US

**Here's a link to instructions on how to remove/install the program effectively How to uninstall and reinstall the Alienware Command Center? | Dell US **

Best of luck!