Issues with cloning to a larger partition/drive

Denroll

I have EaseUS Partition Master and PC Disk Clone X. Old drives are both 500Gb units; one with C & D drives, the other with F & G drives. New drives are each 1Tb with one being an SSHD. Using a Kingwin EZ Dock 2 USB 3.0 for the cloning.

I tried to clone the disks straight over with no luck. Next, I took the new disk and created two 500Gb partitions. I cloned each of the old partitions, each 250Gb, over to the new disk and instead of having the old partitions + an extra 250Gb per partition, I have this:

diskmgr.jpg

I am unable to expand the volume of each partition.

I have not cloned the drive (a 1Gb SSHD) as I want to figure this out first.

Any suggestions on how I can get the full Tb out of my drives?

I do not have either of the programs you have mentioned, but with Acronis True Image (the one I have), has a partition scaling setting for when moving between different drives sizes. Check to see if there is such an option (probably under advanced settings if there is one). It might work if you have that unchecked. That should allow you to copy the partitions without any size change (like how yours are increasing to fit with the same % as on the new drive).

That is all the help I can give for now.

• Thumbs Up 2

What is that 'All Solutions' drop-down box?

For this, it might be worth getting Acronis. I will actually have my 1TB drive coming in the mail this week. I will be cloning over from a 500GB. So I will be doing almost the same thing, but I have only one partition, but I will try and see how it behaves.

If you want, I will create a small 5GB partition at the end of my disk before I clone and see if that increases in size or stays put.

What exactly do you want your partitions to do? Do you want your two 250GB partitions to be 500GB partitions on the new drive? Or, do you want the 250GB partitions to stay 250GB and have a 500GB unallocated at the end of disk:

Source:

|| |--- 250GB ---| |--- 250GB ---| ||

Option 1:

|| |----------- 500 GB -----------| |----------- 500GB -----------| ||

Option 2:

|| |--- 250GB ---| |-- 250GB ---| |----------- 500GB -----------| ||

Partition 1

Partition 2

Unallocated

The drop-down box is their other software options.

I am looking to end up at option 1. This will be my Steam / Videos drive. I'll check out the Acronis since it sounds more capable. Thank you.

I got my HDD a day early. I have successfully clones over my HDD via Acronis with no issue. I only had one partition though, so your results may vary, but you can view and modify how it clones with their utility, so that should help.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry 'bout the delay, I was out on the ocean. Anyhow, I got the Acronis software and it did the trick with my C & D drives; scaled them up just fine. I'm having a strange issue with the other drive, as shown in the pic:

HDDWTF.jpg~original

Need to get this fixed before Steam Summer Sale!