eGPU causes 100% load on core 0 - choppy gaming

medion750ti

Hi guys,

after weeks of troubleshooting I just found the reason for the poor performance of my eGPU setup.

For some reason, cpu core 0 goes to 100% load right after bootup whenever the eGPU is connected to the laptop. 

This causes unbearable chop while gaming or benchmarking. As I found out today, this can be fixed by deselecting core 0 for the specific program in the affinity settings in win7 task manager. While this workaround will do fine for running benchmarks, it still isn't great for gaming, since i will notice the missing cpu core, hence performance.

The better solution seems to somehow reduce the cpu load on core 0, so that games will be able to make use of the full cpu potential, rather than just a fraction of it. 

Any ideas?

I7 2670QM

WIN 7

GTX750TI

Looking forward for your reply

Cheers

Frank

Edited by medion750ti
Spelling mistakes

Just to give an update to whom it might be of interest:

The cause seems to be a pcie whitelist issue. When booting into setup 1.3 with the wifi card and then hotswapping the eGPU, the hardware interrupt is gone. The undo whitelist option in setup 1.3 unfortunately is of no use on this particular setup.

Purchased a mpcie extension cable to do the hotswap without having to take the laptop apart after every reboot. For me that is a good workaround.

Cheers

Edited by medion750ti
  • Thumbs Up 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.