Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'mid-2012'.
First off I want to say thank you to the community here. I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without the hard work and dedication of everyone who blazed the trail before me and shared their experience. I wanted to post my success story in case others were trying to do something similar. Hardware 15" MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2012 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 (Turbo boot to 3.6 Ghz) 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Sonnet Echo Express SE II Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4 GB LG Ultrawide 34" 34UC97 curved 4K display [3440 x 1440 @ 60 Hz] Apple Cinema Display 20" (2006 or 2008, I forget) [1920 x 1200] OS X (worked on both 10.10 Yosemite and 10.11 El Capitan I've been successfully using my eGPU under OS X for over a year. Thanks to Goalque's Automate eGPU script. Really is super easy. Major props. Some thoughts, in no particular order Original setup was using the MBPr in clamshell mode in a Hinge Dock --> Did not work well, issues booting, internal screen stayed on Updates can randomly break everything --> easy fix with the automate eGPU script Very stable --> quite pleased with the success Windows 10 Just got this working last weekend. I originally used bootcamp, which on my device sets up windows to use MBR. Could not get it to work even with the help of Setup 1.30 / 1.2. Out of boredom I nuked the windows partition and re-configured everything to boot EFI. I eventually got everything working using the DSDT override. Some additional thoughts, in no order The integrated Intel GPU causes all sorts of trouble. Windows updates drives a lot without telling you. Causes blue screens. Needed to keep disabling the device in safe mode This slowed down and frustrated the process, often times I didn't realize the integrated GPU was causing issues I believe the DSDT override was done correctly, and after that everything began working correctly (the large memory device is in device manager, but there is nothing below it) My game of choice is Heroes of the Storm. Conveniently I can test it in both windows and OS X. It runs much better in OS X Seems to be CPU limited. In OS X Turbo boost is constantly overclocking to 3.4 GHz. CPU temp in the mid 90s. Fans at Max. (GPU does not seem pushed, fans slow). 50-70 FPS @ max res, mix of Ultra on more GPU intensive settings and Low on CPU settings In Win 10, Turbo boost was all over the place 2.8-3.2 GHz. Game was much choppier. 25-60 FPS. CPU temps were ~102. Same settings. I have screenshots of everything. Unigine Valley benchmarks in both OS X and Win. I'll add tomorrow. Realize this may not be a great guide for others trying to replicate, but wanted to share my success story as a guide post for others with similar hardware. And to say thanks again to the community. I've been an avid reader of the guides and other builds as I worked through mine. Feel free to ask any questions. I'll help where I can.